9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2014 12:08 PM by A.T. Romano

Import jpg in PRE13 is not working

platterina

I just downloaded Premiere Elements 13 to create a slideshow. Whenever I try to import my jpg files, I get an error message.

I resized all files to 4096x2731 pixels with PS Elements 9 but it is still not working. Does anybody know how I could fix this problem?

Thank you for your support!

• 1. Re: Import jpg in PRE13 is not working
          A.T. Romano Level 7

platterina

What computer operating system is Premiere Elements 13 running on?

Did you edit your jpg photos in Photoshop and perhaps applied color profile of CMYK?

What is the specific wording of the error message?

ATR

• 2. Re: Import jpg in PRE13 is not working
            platterina Level 1

Premiere Elements is running on windows 32-bit system. I edited the photos in Lightroom 5.6 and exported them as jpg. As already said, I changed the size of the jpgs afterwards in PS Elements. The error message says something like "an unspecific error occured for the following files"

Thanks

Lena

• 3. Re: Import jpg in PRE13 is not working
              A.T. Romano Level 7

platterina

Working through the possibilities....

Premiere Elements Editor (32 bit application that you have because you are using Windows 32 bit) has a file size limit = total number of pixels = 1677216.

So, if you were working there with your 4096 x 2731, you would be getting a different error message related to still size if that were the case. However, if you are working in the new Elements Organizer 13 Create/Slideshow, I am not sure if that has its own pixel dimensions/total number of pixels limitation.

Suggestion: Resize one of your jpg to 1280 x 720 or 1920 x 1080 and determine if that imports or not into your project (in Editor or in Elements Organizer - wherever you are working to build this slideshow).

It has been the case that Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements do not support stills with the CMYK color profile. But, if you were able to take your stills into Photoshop Elements for photo resizing and you accomplished that, then that would rule out the CMYK color profile factor.

What was the extent of your photo editing in Lightroom?

ATR

• 4. Re: Import jpg in PRE13 is not working
                platterina Level 1

I got the size error at first, then I resized one photo and the import worked. Now that I have resized all pictures, its not working anymore and the error message is different.

I don't really get your last question (sorry, I am from Switzerland:-)) what do you mean with "extent of photo editing"? I import my raw-files into Lightroom, do my editing (color, sharpness, etc.) and then export the files as jpg.

Lena

• 5. Re: Import jpg in PRE13 is not working
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Lena

Thanks for the reply.

By "extend of photo editing", I meant what were the edits that you made to your still images. You have answered now

I import my raw-files into Lightroom, do my editing (color, sharpness, etc.) and then export the files as jpg.

What is the new error message that you are receiving?

ATR

• 6. Re: Import jpg in PRE13 is not working
                    platterina Level 1

ATR

After my first attempt the error message was "file size too big" (or something like that), then I resized all pictures as described. When I treid to import the resized files, the error message was the "unspecified error" as mentioned above.

Lena

• 7. Re: Import jpg in PRE13 is not working
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Lena

1. First thing, I need to make sure we are in sync on...where are you trying to create this slideshow?

I have been assuming in the Elements Organizer 13/Create/Slideshow workspace. Is that correct?

2. If so, open Premiere Elements 13 Editor to its Expert workspace, and import these problematic jpgs into a new Premiere Elements Editor project, using Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets. Do you get that far without any errors?

3. Can you open jpg stills with no raw image origin in Premiere Elements 13 Editor or Elements Organizer 13/Create/Slideshow?

Thinking ahead to another mini test..

For troubleshooting purposes only at this time, can we take Lightroom out of the equation?

Will your original raw image import into the Camera Raw version that you have in Photoshop Elements 9? If so, import the raw image there, edit in the Camera Raw dialog, from Photoshop Elements save as jpg and resize jpg. Does that jpg from Photoshop Elements now import without issue into Premiere Elements 13 Editor and or Elements Organizer 13.

We will be watching for further developments.

ATR

• 8. Re: Import jpg in PRE13 is not working
                        platterina Level 1

ATR

At first I tried to create the slide show in Elements Organizer. The import worked but the creation of the slideshow did not, because of my graphics board. Then I tried to import the files into a new Editor Project, what produced the error messages as described before.

I had a few pics from my husbands iPhone imported into the Editor but as my main focus is on photography, Premiere Elements is useless to me if it does not import ex-raw-files. I will try out your mini test with photoshop elemtents today and see what happens.

Thanks for your support so far!

Lena

• 9. Re: Import jpg in PRE13 is not working
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Lena

Thanks for the replies. We are watching for further developments.

But, I did want to make mention of some odds about raw image format and dng imports into the Premiere Elements workspace.

If you have installed a Camera Raw version that supports your version of Premiere Elements, you can import

raw image format stills and dng files into a Premiere Elements project. You cannot open the Camera Raw dialog

to edit them there. The Camera Raw dialog needs Photoshop Elements.

ATR