5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2014 9:40 PM by R Neil Haugen

HELP PLEASE!  I am working with GH4 4k footage in adobe preimere and the computer keeps freezing... any ideas?

AntHasAQuestion

HELP PLEASE!  I am working with GH4 4k footage in adobe preimere and the computer keeps freezing... any ideas?

• 1. Re: HELP PLEASE!  I am working with GH4 4k footage in adobe preimere and the computer keeps freezing... any ideas?
          R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It would actually be of use to offer some information that we all would need to do other than make WAG's of no use to you.

As is requested in the FAQ on the top of the overview page, what information to list in your post to help "us" help you ...

OS/CPU/RAM/GPU/vRAM ... to the dot-specific and video drivers.

Disc layout ... how many of what type, where the programs, caches, and footage are located, and any connection such as internal, Thunderbolt, eSATA, and USB3.

Programs again, dot-specific (no, "latest CC" does NOT count as dot-specific ... go to the help->about lower left corner) ... and include any programs or plugins that have 'touched' the footage or project involved.

Footage codec/wrapper, frame-rate & frame size, sequence settings also ...

Then we'll be able to offer some assistance.

Neil

• 2. Re: HELP PLEASE!  I am working with GH4 4k footage in adobe preimere and the computer keeps freezing... any ideas?
            AntHasAQuestion Level 1

Thanks for your response.  I'm sorry for the lack of details, but posting a question on this forum is completly new to me, so I guess I am learning how it works.

I have to be honest, I am a novice to video editing, but I am here to learn so I will provide all the info I know and please let me know if it is enough...

I filmed my first feature film on a Panasonic GH4. We filmed in 4k (compressed files).  I am about 900 GB of total files for all the footage.  I am currently editing on a 17' Toshiba Satellite i7 with 750 GB of space and I believe 8 gb of ram.  All of the footage for the film is not on the computer, but stored on a 1 TB external hardrive (Rugged Lacie is the name of the hard drive).  I am using a usb 3.0 from the hard drive to the computer.

I actually was able to get through about 17 mins of edits for the film before I started to experiencing the computer completely freezing up on me.  I tried using a different hard drive, and same issue.  A friend mentioned it might just be the computer is not powerful enough to edit all the footage, but he wasn't for sure considering the computer is less than a year old and is on the higher end for a toshiba.

I am requesting advice on how to continue editing the film without the computer crashing if that is even possible with using the same computer.  If not what would be my options?

Thank you!

• 3. Re: HELP PLEASE!  I am working with GH4 4k footage in adobe preimere and the computer keeps freezing... any ideas?
              R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

By the time you're 17 minutes into putting this project together, there's a MASSIVE amount of read/write work going on ... and there's two things that jump out at me, the first having only 8Gb RAM ... that's quite low for a project of this size in the current PrPro. Then ... using a USB 3 external, which isn't nearly as capable of sustained throughput as an eSATA or a Thunderbolt. Um ... what's your CPU, also?

Over on the "Hardware Forum" (link is on the right side of the Overview page) there's a lot of talk about hardware, including laptops. Typically talking about running minimal of 16Gb RAM, and spreading os/programs; cache & preview files; project & footage files on multiple internal or eSATA or Thunderbolt drives, or perhaps on a single RAID 0 drive of say 5 2TB drives. Separate from the OS/Program files disk.

So ... yea, you're running a smallish capable computer with a large file footage. Workable, but probably best doing it in separate "projects" with sequences of 10 minutes or less per section. Maybe more. Kind of a pain, but very few people can get a rig like this handling that kind of footage in anywhere near "real time".

Neil

• 4. Re: HELP PLEASE!  I am working with GH4 4k footage in adobe preimere and the computer keeps freezing... any ideas?
                AntHasAQuestion Level 1

I gotta be honest... you helped me a lot with that answer.  Thank you.

I have some things to consider, but I believe I know what I will do.  Learning a lot on my first film!

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Anthony