2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2015 1:31 AM by Elementathens

Premiere constantly freezes video while playback

Thanos_Kamaretsos Level 1

For a bout 2 months now of using Premiere pro cc 2014, i am very disappointed of a constant behaviour. trying to play timelines of low complexity (3mins long, sometimes no effects, and only one video track and a title or a matte ), keeps freezing in random spots of the timeline while the audio continues to play. There are times that it even crashes completely after this.

The materials used are mxfs or quicktimes ( H264) from common DSLR cameras

It happens even if the timeline is rendered or not

The only solution found so far is immediately quit and reopen Premiere, but even after this it can happen again. It is very emberassing as it happens while i play the edit in front of clients.Pl

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro5,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number of Processors: 2

Total Number of Cores: 8

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache (per Processor): 12 MB

Memory: 24 GB

Processor Interconnect Speed: 5.86 GT/s

Boot ROM Version: MP51.007F.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.39f11

SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f11

NVIDIA Quadro K5000:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA Quadro K5000

Screen Shot 2014-11-05 at 4.17.31 PM.png

STORAGE

Available: 3.34 TB (3,340,379,062,272 bytes)

Capacity: 4 TB (4,000,109,887,488 bytes)

Mount Point: /Volumes/EDIT_05

File System: Journaled HFS+

Writable: Yes

Ignore Ownership: No

BSD Name: disk3

Volume UUID: 5595E7DD-4A27-39E6-AE37-0C4219CE14E8

Physical Drive:

Media Name: EDIT_05

Medium Type: Rotational

Protocol: SATA

Internal: Yes

Partition Map Type: Unknown

S.M.A.R.T. Status: Not Supported

PREMIERE PRO LATEST VERSION (8.1)

FOOTAGE (H264 OR MXF OR QUICKTIME) FULL HD(1920X1080)

USING MERCURY (GPU)

NO THIRD PARTY HARDWARE OUPUT

• 1. Re: Premiere constantly freezes video while playback
          geophrian Level 1

Having the same problem. Using MXF video files from the Sony F5. Was never a problem until the past few months and seems to be getting worse as time goes on. I've tried Premiere Pro CC (2014), and using the previous Premiere Pro CC (hoping it may work like it used to) and no luck.

Any ideas, solutions, help at all would be greatly appreciated. It's to the point where some projects I can't even watch all the way through. I just have to guess that it is right and hope the video exports so I can view it that way. I have to save after ever step, before renders and pretty much any time I click the mouse. It's making Premiere absolutely useless. Edits that should take a few hours take days now.

After Effects has no troubles at all using the exact same footage and seems to be operating flawlessly. .

• 2. Re: Premiere constantly freezes video while playback
            Elementathens Level 1

It is a pity that no one from adobe is answering this post. Anyway, having made testings found the following

1) It happens on the mac ( not the PC )

2) I found the following sequence settings to degrade the problem to 20% ( I mean the codec - Apple pro res 422

2) Screen Shot 2015-02-25 at 2.59.01 PM.png

3) To eliminate the problem I import the files and while logging, and starting a first cut, i convert them in backround ( using Mpeg Streamclip - personal choice ) at Apple pro res 422 (any flavor) and when this is done i simply reconnect them to the Pro res ( using the above settings ) and problem gone...

But all the above is a roundtrip not a solution. If anyone from Adobe is out there...:)