5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2014 7:29 AM by Eugene Tyson

Footnote woes

karienvdw Level 1

When using span columns on a paragraph with a footnote, Indesign places the footnote under that paragraph instead of at the bottom of the page with the other footnotes. Is there a way to change this? Footnotes in Indesign can really do with some improvements, Adobe!

• 1. Re: Footnote woes
          Migintosh Level 4

I'm imagining what you have, and I think about a two-column page with footnotes at the bottom of both columns. Then, you have a paragraph that spans columns, and all of the footnotes before the span show up above the span. If there is a way around this without having to do it manually, I don't know how it would be done. Even if you split the story into three text frames (two-column at the top and bottom, one-column in the middle), the footnotes before the split will still be above the split, instead of at the bottom.

The only thing I can think of is to have one two-column text frame, and a second (just for the span) that has text wrap to push the text away from both columns. You could either place it directly on the page or inline with the text, but you will have to keep an eye on it either way if the text reflows. As a stand-alone object, it might not be in the place where the text makes sense if the main text moves (and you would have to move it manually), and if you place it inline and it's anchor position moves to the right column, it will hang off the side of the page, and then you would have to move the anchor.

But, with hope, you will get a better answer from someone else.

• 2. Re: Footnote woes
            karienvdw Level 1

Thanks for the attempt, but that still leaves me with the footnotes separated. Please Adobe, do something about footnotes, it is really crappy!

• 3. Re: Footnote woes
              Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Preaching to the choir here

Sign the petition/wishlist here

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/619776

• 4. Re: Footnote woes
                Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

Hi,

It is relatively easy to skirt the InDesign notes poor management.

It takes me, manually, say, 20 seconds to make this!  Tricky but cool! 

Capture d’écran 2014-11-26 à 17.02.11.png

• 5. Re: Footnote woes
                  Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How did you do that?