5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2014 2:06 PM by ssprengel

Color discrepancy between Lightroom and Camera Raw

Adchu1996chu

I'm new to LR and came across a color issue when viewing the photos in LR.

When view the RAW in LR, I see a color discrepancy compare with ACR. The color in LR is more like the JPEG view in Windows Photo Viewer (an non color-managed application). I suspect it's a color space config but can't find any in LR as in PS.

When I changed my monitor's ICC profile to "SRGB IEC61966-2.1", all the applications, LR, ACR, WPV, look the same then. It's said that profile just for troubleshooting and should change back to monitor's profile. Can someone help to explain what's happen and what should I do to get consistent color? Thanks a lot!

• 1. Re: Color discrepancy between Lightroom and Camera Raw
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It sounds like the monitor profile from the monitor manufacturer is not compatible with LR.  This is a common problem, and you have confirmed it by temporarily switching to sRGB.

If the only profiles you have available are sRGB (which is consistent but may be wrong) and the monitor profile (which doesn’t work) then for more accurate color you’ll need to buy a hardware calibrator. 

I use the i1DisplayPro.  Others might use a Spyder or a ColorMunki, although the i1DisplayPro has some more detailed options for creating profiles (Matrix vs LUT or ICCv2 vs ICCv4) that can be necessary to make LR happy, or at least my preference is to have a more powerful program in case I do need to tweak things.  I haven’t ever used a ColorMunki or Spyder so perhaps they work fine, too.  I think the color-measuring hardware with the i1 is better, though.  I guess you get what you pay for.

• 2. Re: Color discrepancy between Lightroom and Camera Raw
            Adchu1996chu Level 1

Ha. I'm not only new to LR but also photography. Thought the calibrator was for the Pros. But how come the color shift is so annoying and may consider to get one, or borrow one...

Btw, my monitor is a low-end model - Samsung 2233sw. Only few options can tune on the panel. Is the calibration done on the software side? Just want to check to avoid wasting money.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Color discrepancy between Lightroom and Camera Raw
              Adchu1996chu Level 1

One more thing... I'm still wondering why LR and CR look differently. They should share the same configuration, right?

• 4. Re: Color discrepancy between Lightroom and Camera Raw
                Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

One more thing... I'm still wondering why LR and CR look differently. They should share the same configuration, right?

This happens because Photoshop and ACR when they encounter a corrupt monitor profile, simply ignore it and assume the system default sRGB. Photoshop sometimes tells you there is a problem but not always. Lightroom to the contrary actually attempts to use it and then gives strange results. It also uses a different rendering intent normally. Bottom line is that it is not the same code and they react differently to issues with monitor profiles. A lot of lower end monitors ship with corrupt monitor profiles in their windows drivers. Especially Dell and Samsung have this issue. Another problem with these is that they often have strange modes such as game mode or movie mode or even dynamic optimization modes. They all will cause bad color display and should be avoided.

• 5. Re: Color discrepancy between Lightroom and Camera Raw
                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can choose to set your monitor profile to sRGB and maybe do a rudimentary calibration using the option in the Display properties area or you can do a more sophisticated, and likely more accurate calibration using a hardware calibrator.  The one thing for sure is that the monitor-manufacturer's profile isn't compatible with LR.