5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2014 11:16 AM by dj_paige

Export in LR5

Mick Medley

I have made some changes to images in LR5 but when I export after creating a different folder or even exporting to the same folder the converted image is not there to do any further work on or to view.

If I search Finder on the Mac the new image is in the Finder but not accessible in LR5

Being new to LR5 after much recommendation I find this very frustrating

• 2. Re: Export in LR5
          dj_paige Level 9

Mick Medley wrote:

I have made some changes to images in LR5 but when I export after creating a different folder or even exporting to the same folder the converted image is not there to do any further work on or to view.

If you want to do further work on the image, you go back into Lightroom and work on the (edited) original file. You never do further work in Lightroom on Exported photos.

If I search Finder on the Mac the new image is in the Finder but not accessible in LR5

Yes, when you Export a photo, by default it is not shown in Lightroom. Normally, you export a photo when you are finished editing it, and then you only export for some non-Lightroom purpose like e-mail, web, print, other application. If you are exporting a photo and then wanting to see it in LR so you can do further work on it, I'd have to question why that is necessary.

Please read or watch some beginner tutorials:

Lightroom 5 - Free Quick Start Guide PDF eBook | The Lightroom Queen

Getting Started with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 | Adobe TV

1 person found this helpful
          • 3. Re: Export in LR5
            Mick Medley Level 1

Thanks for that, I sometimes ned to re edit or do additional edits if I have not completed something,

I now find if I tick save in catalogue box when exporting it goes back into LR5 in the folder I nominated,

Thanks for the tips on tutorials

Regards Mick

Some of my photos can be viewed at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mickmedley/  & please do comment if you wish

• 4. Re: Export in LR5
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Edit process is a continual process. There is no need to create an additional copy the way you are doing it. If you want to move in a different direction you can create a virtual copy. But I think you're making a lot of extra work for yourself

• 5. Re: Export in LR5
                dj_paige Level 9

I now find if I tick save in catalogue box when exporting it goes back into LR5 in the folder I nominated,

Agreeing with Jim Hess, this is completely unnecessary, you simply return to the original photo in Lightroom and continue with your editing. Its not only a better workflow (and how Lightroom was designed) but its less work than what you are doing. Lastly, depending on what file format you export to, you may be losing quality by editing an export; but there is no quality loss if you return to your original photo and continue editing.