6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2014 7:45 PM by Ian Hyslop

Can't Import jpeg into catalog.

Ian Hyslop

Importing jpegs into Lightroom 5.7, images show up in the filmstrip and in the loupe.  Synchronizing the folder indicates the images from the catolog are missing and will be deleted.  How do I get these imported JPEG's into the catalog so I can synchronize the folders?  I have tried 3 times without success.  Thank you.

• 1. Re: Can't Import jpeg into catalog.
          dj_paige Level 9

I don't understand something ... if you have imported the images so that they show up in the filmstrip and in Loupe ... why do you want to synchronize folders? Seems like an unnecessary step, unless you aren't telling us something.

• 2. Re: Can't Import jpeg into catalog.
            Ian Hyslop Level 1

I run the synchronize occasionally to make sure the stability of catolog is maintained before it becomes a larger issue.  I have never had a problem, and used all  in versions since 1.  How do I get these images so that they are recognized in the catalog?

• 3. Re: Can't Import jpeg into catalog.
              dj_paige Level 9

I run the synchronize occasionally to make sure the stability of catolog is maintained before it becomes a larger issue.

Again, I don't understand, I'm not aware of other people doing this.

How do I get these images so that they are recognized in the catalog?

Why do you think they are NOT recognized? Exactly what do you see (or not see) on your screen that says these are NOT recognized? If there is an error message, please quote it word-for-word, verbatim.

• 4. Re: Can't Import jpeg into catalog.
                Ian Hyslop Level 1

When I synchronize the folder, I get "Remove missing photos from Catalog".  If I continue with this synchronization, the newly added JPEG's will be deleted.  I would like to have these images to be recognized and not deleted.  I have never had this issue before.  Any ideas?

• 5. Re: Can't Import jpeg into catalog.
                  dj_paige Level 9

Are you moving the photos outside of Lightroom? Are the photos on an external drive that might be unplugged?

To tell you the truth, I don't use Synchronize Folders for this purpose (and I'm not sure I understand why you do), so I don't think I can help further. Perhaps someone who uses Synchronize Folders has some ideas.

• 6. Re: Can't Import jpeg into catalog.
                    Ian Hyslop Level 1

I found out what had occurred.  I guess during a software update this checkbox was unchecked.  I went to:

Lightroom >> Preferences >> General

Put a checkmark against “Treat jpeg files next to Raw as separate photos” and then clicked OK.

Problem solved