15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2014 12:58 PM by Ned Murphy

Preloaded fails to display

nyds0806 Level 1

Please see

1) The preloaded does not display on all browsers...is there a fix, or another sure-fire preloaded code?

2) Also, motion of graphics appears jerky on browsers. I'd appreciate a 100% solution.

3) And is there a way to reduce the file size?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Preloaded fails to display
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1) What are you calling "the preloaded"  Usually different behaviors for different browsers  is due to the way the code is written in the web page for embedding the Flash file.  What approach do you take for the preloader?

2) I don't really see much jerkiness in the motion so it might be the limitations of your machine that contributes to this.  How do you currently do the motion animations?  Animating bitmaps can contribute to the problem, especially if...

3) imgaes are likely the reason for the file size and trying to redraw them for animation is likely helping with the jerkiness.  For what I can see of the images, there are some that look rather rough, with jagged edges.  If you select the option to Allow Smoothing for these images (see their Properties in the library) it can help smooth out jagged edges.  You should make sure you optimize the images and size them to the final size before importing them into the Flash library.  Photoshop can help with this if you have it.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Preloaded fails to display
            nyds0806 Level 1

Ned,

Thanks for replying.

1) Here is the basic code for the preloaded I use:

stop();

this.addEventListener(Event.ENTER_FRAME, loading);

function loading(e:Event):void{

var total:Number = this.stage.loaderInfo.bytesTotal;

var loaded:Number = this.stage.loaderInfo.bytesLoaded;

loadingbar3.scaleX = loaded/total;

loadText.text = Math.floor((loaded/total)*100)+ "%";

if (total == loaded){

play();

this.removeEventListener(Event.ENTER_FRAME, loading);

}

}

2) I create motion through Classic Tweens

3) So are you saying image smoothing reduces the age size, or just the raster jaggies?

4) Any other suggestions so slower machines don't experience jerky motion?

5) What method in Photoshop will "optimize" the images? And do I need to worry now after the Flash is completed, if the swf file is 4 MB or less?

6) Image are mostly PNG 24. What step(s) would you take using Photoshop to optimize this file type?

7) If in Flash Publish settings, I adjust image quality, say down to 80% or so, won't this override any image settings or optimization made in Photoshop?

8) Finally, my client asked if there is another export file format besides .swf, and also if this alternative format will retain interactivity and remove any glitches in motion.

Thank you.

• 3. Re: Preloaded fails to display
              nyds0806 Level 1

Ned, checking in.....any answers?

• 4. Re: Preloaded fails to display
                nyds0806 Level 1

Ned,

Do you feel the design of this Flash was, in anyway, created in a  technically faulty manner?

• 5. Re: Preloaded fails to display

3)  The smoothing does what the name infers... it helps smooth what can otherwise appear jaggedy, especially when image resizing or motion is being dealt with.

4)  Not really.  Flash essentially has to redraw the screen repeatedly in the process of performing any animation.  A slower machine can be overwhelmed... the best way to manage things for slower machines is to minimize animations.

5)  Usually in Photoshop there is a 'save for web' option which deals mostly with jpeg images.

6)  For PNG images, to optimize them in Photoshop is to make use of the Posterization option (I think - it has been a long time since I have done it) ... essentially reducing the number of colors used in the image.

7)  You cannot override the image quality that the file receives.  When you make the changes in Photoshop they are permanent images made to the image, not something that you can revert by applying some other filtering.

8)  I cannot answer this except to say that nothing will do it as well as Flash.  I do not know if taking the HTML5/javascript approach would work.

• 6. Re: Preloaded fails to display
                    nyds0806 Level 1

Ned,

Thanks.

Do you feel the design of this Flash has technical defects?

According to Adobe is a 9.1 MB .swf file an acceptable file size?

• 7. Re: Preloaded fails to display

As I indicated already, when I played the file I did not encounter anything I would call glitchy.  I only noted that some of the imagery was fairly scratchy, and I am not talking about that in terms of animation - some images just look like cut and paste rather than blended images.

I doubt Adobe will have an opinion, and I don't work for Adobe so I cannot represent what they might deem.  Personally, if this is for a web implementation then 9MB is a bit large... anything that requires a preloader for a web implementation had best be something that someone has a need to see, otherwise, making people wait just to see an advertisement is likely to fail its purpose.

• 8. Re: Preloaded fails to display
                        nyds0806 Level 1

If 9 MB is large, what size would be acceptable?

• 9. Re: Preloaded fails to display

I cannot answer that except to say that for a web implementation for an advertisement I would keep things below 100K as a target for any design.  Content could be loaded dynamically if more content was needed but I would avoid having any kind of preloading displayed... just seeing a preloader is enough to drive me to click away from a web page.

• 10. Re: Preloaded fails to display
                            nyds0806 Level 1

Ned,

Thanks. However, this is not a web advertisement. It is a website that prequalified investors, after receiving an email,  will select to view. 

• 11. Re: Preloaded fails to display
                              nyds0806 Level 1

To clarify your thoughts, is 9 MB too large for an "ad", but OK for a preloader?

• 12. Re: Preloaded fails to display
                                nyds0806 Level 1

And thank you for all your time Ned. Can I repay the favor anyway?

• 13. Re: Preloaded fails to display

If this is not an advertisement... but is instead something people with an already known interest are being directed to... then I wouldn't worry about the size, but it is still worth the time to make it as clean a presentation as possible since the functionality of the piece will reflect on the people presenting it.

Repayment to me is not an issue.  If you ever get a chance to help someone else, go for it.

• 14. Re: Preloaded fails to display
                                    nyds0806 Level 1

Ned,

Thank you.

• 15. Re: Preloaded fails to display

You're welcome