4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2014 5:15 AM by barrylarry

Why am I getting unwanted duplicates, triplicates etc.?

barrylarry

I am technogically challenged! I use the develop module to work on photos, and also silver fx and dfine. When I have done that and return to the grid I find that there are sometimes 2, 3 or 4 copies of the same photo. They will be marked "1 of 3", "2 of 3", "3 of 3", or whatever. Sometimes there is a small box in the bottom right hand corner with a plus and minus sign in it. I don't know why I am getting these repeats. I'm not making huge alterations to my photos and I find it confusing to know which of these duplicates is the latest version. Could someone please explain?

• 1. Re: Why am I getting unwanted duplicates, triplicates etc.?
          BKKDon Level 4

They are "stacked" copies of the original you are working on.

This happens when you use an external editor such as silver fx/dfine where you choose to edit in the external editor with either a copy or a copy with Lightroom adjustments.

External editors usually require a "pixel" file to work on ... JPG, PSD or TIF and these are what are returned and stacked with the original RAW file.

A couple of references for you:

Lightroom Help | External editing preferences

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 * Grouping photos into stacks

• 2. Re: Why am I getting unwanted duplicates, triplicates etc.?
            barrylarry Level 1

Many thanks, BKKDon, for your prompt reply. I’ve looked at the links you sent, but I’m still confused. The link re stacking refers to groups of similar photos. I’m getting a stack of the same photo. Is the raw original the one marked e.g. “1 of 3”, and is the latest one that I’ve worked on “3 of 3”? If not, how do I know which is which?

• 3. Re: Why am I getting unwanted duplicates, triplicates etc.?
              BKKDon Level 4

Hi,

The mention of the fact that they are "similar" photos is simply if you stack them yourself. That link was so you understood that stacks are stacks of images in the same folder.

Each time you call an external editor the result is re-imported to Lightroom and stacked with the original ... usually a RAW photo. For example, if you do edits in LR and then send the image to Silver Efex Pro a TIFF file will be created for export with the LR adjustments and then when you save the result in Silver Efex Pro the subsequent B&W file is re-imported and stacked with the original RAW file.

It is a way to organize the files and flag that they are linked ... typically "1" refers to the first image in the stack and therefore it is the last created. So if I had a RAW file then exported to Silver Efex Pro then exported a copy to dfine they would be stacked in the following order ... dfine - 1, Silver efex pro - 2 , original - 3 ... the original is always the last in a stack and the latest you have worked on is always 1.

• 4. Re: Why am I getting unwanted duplicates, triplicates etc.?
                barrylarry Level 1

Very many thanks again for a prompt and very helpful reply. I now understand the process.