4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2014 5:20 PM by Mr Challenge

SOS!!! HOW CAN I MOVE MY PPCS6 PROJECT INTO ANOTHER HDD?

Mr Challenge

Please help!

I have the premiere of my documentary in 10 days and it's not finished yet. I'm working full time...but PC's HDD makes weird noises and fails often which provokes computer to restart...I'm afraid HDD is about to break for good soon.

I cannot risk and I bought a new HDD...but I'm not sure my PPCS6 project will work well if I start working in a new HDD.

I've been reading all along and only solution I found it's at "Project Manager"...but there it tells me "Resulting Project size (est.): 330 GB"...which it's just insane.

I'm now backing up the Preview Files folder of the project into the new HDD, but I'm not sure it's going to be enough.

Please! Anybody to put some light into this complicated situation!!

How can I keep working in my project at a new HDD and finish my documentary?

Thanks in advance for your help, it's really needed now!

Miguel

• 1. Re: SOS!!! HOW CAN I MOVE MY PPCS6 PROJECT INTO ANOTHER HDD?
          Michael MTT Level 2

No Panic! Of Course you can move (copy!) your Project file to another HDD! And of course you need to have the source footage (video files, images, audio etc..) with you. Is it on the strange-noise-HDD too?

In General its a must to have a backup of both!!!

For info: the project manager will copy project file+source material used in the project at the location you choose so thats why its 330GB: the video files etc goes with it.

If you open the copied project on the new HDD it might take a bit longer to open for the first time and it might render new files to the cache and maybe you need to relink source files (window will pop up and ask where to find fileXY.).

• 2. Re: SOS!!! HOW CAN I MOVE MY PPCS6 PROJECT INTO ANOTHER HDD?
            Mr Challenge Level 1

Thanks a lot for your answer Michael!

I surely have a copy of all the footage on external disks, from where I'm working. (The HDD failing is the PC-on-built one...where project was being saved).

That is why I don't need Project Manager to copy all source video files, I just need the Project file with all settings (previews, effects, sequence settings...) enough to be able to keep working normally in the project when I replace the on-built hard disk.

You think just copying the PPCS6 project file into the new HDD, opening it and linking it to all the materials....it will work OK?

Thanks again, I truly truly appreciate your support!!

• 3. Re: SOS!!! HOW CAN I MOVE MY PPCS6 PROJECT INTO ANOTHER HDD?
              Michael MTT Level 2

Welcome! Yes, the project file contains everything you edited: the sequence, the effects and transitions you applied, and also titles you created. So if you open the copied project on the same pc with same version of premiere, but from different HDD the project will work the same as it used to.

Premiere also offers a a lot of customization, like keyboard layout, render presets, effect presets, sequence setting presets, customized workspace (window layout) which are not only related to one project but to the program in general. You can backup these files too. find them in the folder

User>Documents>Adobe>Premiere Pro>8,7 or 6>Profile-user>

There you find Effect Presets (.prfpset)

Keyboard Layouts (Win folder)

Customized Workspace (Layout Folder)

However, this is only relevant if you reinstall Premiere or your whole system or you like to work in another computer with the same settings.

• 4. Re: SOS!!! HOW CAN I MOVE MY PPCS6 PROJECT INTO ANOTHER HDD?
                Mr Challenge Level 1

Thanks a lot Michael for this very useful information!

You got to my point specially on the last paragraph, since on-built HDD is the one failing, I'll need to reinstall Premiere as well, and that's why I was afraid there would some incompatibility. Nonetheless, after your information I wont be afraid...but I had to be sure!

Now...way to go!

Thanks a lot!!