2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2014 3:44 PM by johnt53984649

Installing Non-Video Related Software

johnt53984649 Level 2

So back when I was reading the do's and don'ts of video editing on the Tweakers Page, it said not to install software unrelated to video editing, such as office suites.  I can understand that installing other software may be a burden to accomplishing more successful video editing... but the problem is that I don't know why.

Is installing unrelated software going to affect the process of video editing because:

1. Complex programs have the chance of interfering with Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014?
      2. The unrelated program may be reading/writing to an HDD while rendering/exporting, thus slowing down the process?
      3. If 2 is true, would there be much of a difference then when using an SSD instead of an HDD since SSDs work so differently?
      4. The unrelated program takes up more space on the boot drive?
      5. Some other reason?

As you can tell, I don't know WHY installing unrelated software on the boot drive is on the "don't" list of video editing.  It makes sense that it would be, just because, but I would like to know the real reason.

• 1. Re: Installing Non-Video Related Software
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have 1 computer so do not have the option of not installing other software, and I have never had a problem (the other software does NOT include any other video software that could install a codec)

So, for question #2 you simply need to remember that it is YOUR choice what you have running while doing video editing... if you don't want some other software using computer cycles, don't run it while editing

• 2. Re: Installing Non-Video Related Software
            johnt53984649 Level 2

I see, that's just RUNNING it while editing.  That makes sense.  But what about simply having it installed on a computer to do editing with?  I'm not sure if merely having a program installed interferes with it.  I was just wondering since the tweaker's page was so adamant about it, but didn't explain why.