15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2014 6:00 PM by dstanley@mymts.net

No sound capturing from Hauppauge WinTV 885

dstanley@mymts.net Level 1

Nero captures fine from WinTV, but get no sound when I try to capture from PVR using Premier Elements 13. Turned on Audio on preview and playback.

Tried chat support line and all the person kept saying is that I have to connect my internal card to Firewire which made no sense and then disconnected..

• 1. Re: No sound capturing from Hauppauge WinTV 885
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

All versions of Premiere (Pro and Elements) will capture from an external device ONLY via Firewire

You will have to use some other software to activate your card for capturing... and do so into a codec that may be edited

Some previous discussions that may help (I don't use that device, so can't say that they will help)

Hauppauge MPEG-2 TS http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1285168 -and http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1289304 for MANY links

• 2. Re: No sound capturing from Hauppauge WinTV 885
            A.T. Romano Level 7

dstanley

When one talks about capture in Premiere Elements, it is typically related to DV and HDV capture firewire into the Premiere Elements Capture Window.

And, in that workflow, it is the firewire connection that works, not USB. I suspect that the Chat person was understanding your situation in that context.

This matter is further complicated by the fact that Adobe has removed the DV Camcorder and HDV Camcorder features related to DV and HDV Capture firewire into Premiere Elements Capture Window from this latest version. And, it suggests the workaround found in the following Adobe document

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/removed-features-formats-elements.html

Therefore it is important for us to understand the devices that you are using, connections and connection types, formats etc as they relate to Premiere Elements project. Please explain in your own words.

From what I have read, the Hauppauge WinTV 885 is a type of tuner chip used by some Hauppauge WinTV capture cards.

Just what is your PVR (assumed private video recorder) recording - with MPEG2 video compression or other - what audio format - what file extension? Are you dealing with files with the file extension .ts? What are the properties of the file that you seek to import into Premiere Elements 13? And, are you working with the tryout or purchased version of 13?

ATR

• 3. Re: No sound capturing from Hauppauge WinTV 885

I explained to the support person that I was trying to capture from a PVR (DVR) to an internal video capture device using a video to Svideo adapter and left and right audio connectors.

I'm using File/Add Media from/Webcam or WMD. The video displays but no sound plays or captures. It automatically detects Hauppage WinTV 885 Video & Audio Capture for the Video and Audio devices. I turned on Preview audio on desktop for both During Preview and During Capture.

In Nero there is only one setting for input device (no separate video and audio) and it works fine. But I shouldn't have to capture using Nero and then import into Premier. I bought Premier because thought it would be easier to use.

It is a licensed version I bought 2 days ago. I did use the trial version for a while, but I'm sure this version is licensed because I no longer have the watermark across the videos.

- Dale

• 4. Re: No sound capturing from Hauppauge WinTV 885
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Dale

Did you purchase Premiere Elements 13 from Adobe direct as an online download? If so, if what you are trying to do is not supported by Premiere Elements 13, you can get your money back from Adobe within the 30 days from date of purchase. If you purchased Premiere Elements 13 from an authorized reseller, then you would need to go to the seller and be governed by its return/refund policy. For a return/refund from Adobe direct, consider clicking on the following link to reach Adobe Chat Orders....

Contact Customer Care

Premiere Elements

Membership, account, payment

Payments, invoices, orders

Chat Panel

If the link does not hold its set, then you will need to navigate to the Chat Panel using the above titles as guides.

I do not believe that you can use Premiere Elements 13 Add Media/Webcam or WDM for the purpose that you intend. But, I am

not completely sure if the Hauppauge WinTV can be considered a WDM compatible device.

Did you look at the workaround approach to Premiere Elements 13 Capture as described in the link in post 2.

Adobe via its Chat should have the definitive answer on this. You might want to re-contact whomever you contacted before (probably get another

representative) and determine if you get the same answer as was given you by the other representative.

We will be watching for further developments.

ATR

• 5. Re: No sound capturing from Hauppauge WinTV 885

It doesn't make sense that Premier can capture the video from my device and not the sound. Like I said, I bought Premier because i thought it would be easier to use than Nero Video, which I bought 5 yrs ago for $50 with all it's other tools. I work in movies and TV show and like to make copies of shows I appear in. Premier is easier for removing commercials, but the previews are jerky, video capture doesn't work and the program keeps locking up.

Not impressed.

- Dale

• 7. Re: No sound capturing from Hauppauge WinTV 885

Agam: You will have to get in touch with forum for further support as Premiere Elements is not supported on chat.

I'm getting pissed off.

• 9. Re: No sound capturing from Hauppauge WinTV 885

Discovered I can capture sound if I plug the audio cables into the line-in instead of video capture card but the sound is off by about 7 seconds as the video capture board buffers. Don't understand why Premier can record from one windows media audio device and not another. Would be easier to just use Nero to capture video and then import into Premier rather than try to re-sync audio. Can't believe Adobe has such buggy software and poor support.

• 10. Re: No sound capturing from Hauppauge WinTV 885

I appropriate your response John but this is an not an external device and is registered as a multimedia device by Windows. Adobe Premier Elements recognizes it by default and will play and record the video but not the audio. I can plug the audio cables into the line-in and record the audio but the sound is off by about 7 seconds as the video capture buffers. I guess I'll just keep using the cheap software I bought from Nero 5 years ago as Adobe support is of no help.

• 11. Re: No sound capturing from Hauppauge WinTV 885
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

dstanley

Thanks for the replies. I have been involved in some personal matters for the last few hours and have not been able to get back to your thread until now.

Understand your frustration since your expectations were high for Premiere Elements 13 and your described workflow.

We in this forum are not Adobe. Just user to user. Visitors who come to share what works for them or from what they have read.

I do not have the devices that you do otherwise I would try to work through what you are trying to do. My first and current impression is that Add Media/webcam was not intended for the purpose that you have in mind.

If you have gotten to a point where you can get video and audio into your project from your device(s) but the audio is out of sync, I am not sure whether or not you want to get involved in some Timeline maneuvers to try to get the audio in sync. If the audio is unlinked from the video,

a. hold down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard and tap the left or right arrow key (one tap = 1 frame nudge).

b. hold down the Shift+Alt key of the computer main keyboard and tap the left or right arrow key (one tap = 5 frames nudge).

Have you posted in any of the Hauppauge forums to seek input there?

ATR

Add On...did you do any exploration under Edit Menu/Preferences/Audio Hardware and the ASIO settings?

• 12. Re: No sound capturing from Hauppauge WinTV 885

Thanks AT

I got the feeling you worked for Adobe. My frustration is with Adobe, not you. The fact that Premier recognizes the WinTV card by default and does capture video, and Nero can capture both, tells me that the problem is with Premier.. The WDM Capture is obviously for the purpose I'm trying to use it for.

The Nero software always worked without fail and I don't remember it ever locking up. I thought I was taking a step up by buying Adobe. I can't believe they won't even support their own customers and rely on support groups. They have such a great reputation in the graphics industry. I bought Premier as a package with Photoshop Elements which I haven't spent much time with, but am happy with so far.

I guess I'll just keep using Nero to capture video and create DVD's.

Thanks Again

Watch for me on The Pinkertons on Pix11 (WPIX)

Dale

http://dalestanley.ca

• 13. Re: No sound capturing from Hauppauge WinTV 885
                              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I said "capture from an external device ONLY via Firewire"

dstanley@mymts.net wrote:

I appropriate your response John but this is an not an external device and is registered as a multimedia device by Windows. Adobe Premier Elements recognizes it by default and will play and record the video but not the audio. I can plug the audio cables into the line-in and record the audio but the sound is off by about 7 seconds as the video capture buffers. I guess I'll just keep using the cheap software I bought from Nero 5 years ago as Adobe support is of no help.

Your PVR is the external device, the same as a tape camera

The design of Premiere is to use a Firewire connection (either a card or a chip on the motherboard) to capture from an external device

I am actually surprised that a WinTV device works at all (unless it is being "seen" by Premiere as a Firewire device)

Since I do not know the details of WinTV hardware, I don't know what you have or how Premiere can work at all

Since it seems clear that Premiere is not working completely, your idea to use other software for capturing is probably best

• 14. Re: No sound capturing from Hauppauge WinTV 885
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Dale

Thanks for the reply. Do not give up and keep looking for a solution that will work for you.

I do a lot of replying/sharing in this forum, but have no affiliation with Adobe. I just have an overactive troubleshooting gene,

and dislike being left with an answered why.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 15. Re: No sound capturing from Hauppauge WinTV 885

Hi John

Go to File/Add Media From/Webcom or WDM. Under Audio you will see your sound card input devices. If your mike is plugged in you will see that too. In my case I also see Hauppauge WinTV 885 Audio Capture. None of these devices are Firewire. The audio on the sound card works but the sync is off, but sound doesn't capture on WinTV. The Video works fine.

- Dale