3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2014 1:38 AM by [Jongware]

GREP question

RuneEilertsen Level 1

Hello.

I´m trying to apply a new paragraph style and remove a character style from the first line (up to, and including the first carriage return) in a paragraph. There is nothing in the text to identify this line and it may or may not include more than one word/numbers etc.

I have been trying to use grep search and have managed to catch the first line, but the problem is the removal of the character style. Then I have to select all the text on that first line.

As a bonus, it would have been very cool if the search query could understand that I dont want line 2, 3, 4...all tagged with the same style, but only the first line after the "Heading" style. This repeats over and over again, page after page.... §Head 2 -> §List style -> §body. I want to change the first line in §List style to a new paragraph style.

Is this possible at all?

Rune

• 1. Re: GREP question
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Paragraphs can have only one paragraph style, applied the entire paragraph. You can use a nested Line Style to apply a character style to one or more whole lines, applied as part of a paragraph style.

• 2. Re: GREP question
            RuneEilertsen Level 1

Hi Peter,

Thanks for answering.

I do know that there is one style pr paragraph, and that my description of my problem is a bit messy. I have included a screenshot example to better explain it. I might want to add character styles to this first line paragraph later, so I prefer using a paragraph style on this one.

In my example, the first section of text after the Heading, all have the same paragraph style assigned. I want to remove the italic style and replace the paragraph style only on this line. Basically to create another heading, Heading 2, and leave the following lines alone. I could maybe search for both the character style and the paragraph style, but the problem is that in some cases the italic style is applied to paragraphs I dont want to change.

Skjermbilde 2014-11-28 kl. 00.26.52.png

• 3. Re: GREP question
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

(Untested) Search for

(?s)(?<!.)^.+?\r

and put your ListStyle style in the Find Format field, and the other paragraph style and Character Style [None] in the Change Format field.

.. Okay, just tested it and it does not work. This does

(?s)(?<!.)[^\r]+

but there seems no way to include the hard return at the end as you asked.