11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2014 2:19 PM by ECBowen

Best Nvidia card for premiere Pro

Highshots Level 1

PLEASE can someone give me a definitive answer!

Have been having issues with export and editing via a GT 630 graphics card. Resigned myself to the fact that despite this being a supposedly supported card

I will have to buy another one.

I have asked both Adobe and Nvidia support for the most recommended cards for quite high end editing in Pr P CC, using dynamic links to After Effects CC

So far i have been told, Quadro, GTX 680, GTX 690 etc etc

Please can somebody advise on what i need to buy?

• 1. Re: Best Nvidia card for premiere Pro
          dummergold Level 4

what version of Premiere are you running? Your problems might not be solved with graphics card (yet).

with respect to what video card, I paste link copied from another community member's reply to similar topic

http://ppbm7.com/index.php/tweakers-page/92-what-video-card-to-use

• 2. Re: Best Nvidia card for premiere Pro
            JEShort01 Level 4

If you are exporting to a DVD format, then a faster GPU would help a lot, with speed improvement on the order of 10 times (or even more) faster.

If you are exporting to h.264 though (bluray, etc.) however, then you are most likely limited by your CPU or possibly some other bottleneck in your system.

Other comments:

- you should have posted this question in the hardware sub-forum

- running the PPBM7 benchmark and comparing what your system can do with others can tell you a lot about your hardware and setup (see same www.ppbm7 site as dummergold pointed to above)

Regards,

Jim

• 3. Re: Best Nvidia card for premiere Pro
              Highshots Level 1

Hey Dgold

Apologies for delayed thanks!

Thanks for those links man! Very helpful and informative stuff.

Certainly is a mine field out there!

With respect to the other questions.

I export to various formats from DVD/Bluray to H264 and other files to go to third parties.

I have not encountered this problem before I have even exported the project before when i had a radeon card. It was very slow but at least completed.

At the moment with this project i need to export it in three different formats.

DVD, H264 and a Master AVHD file.

• 4. Re: Best Nvidia card for premiere Pro
                dummergold Level 4

I do not see your GT 630 on the system requirements page for Premiere Pro, so not sure how you say it is supposedly supported.

Reason i said is a new video card might not solve your problems was most have problems with the new PP.

If your card used to function well and now is slow, then it's worth looking into what went wrong. If your card is not even on the list of supported cards, then most likely a recommended card that gives you CUDA enabled will speed up your encoding times, as well as making note of Jim's CPU advice.

Have you tried Queue to the Media Encoder to give yourself another comparison way of encoding?

• 5. Re: Best Nvidia card for premiere Pro
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Read about balanced systems Tweakers Page

• 6. Re: Best Nvidia card for premiere Pro
                    Highshots Level 1

Hi dummergold

I cant find the original list now, but on the nvidia web site there is a section titled "Help me choose a card"

When I entered details into that the 630 was there. Also both nvidia and Abobe support claimed when I first started talking to them, that this card would work.

Nvidia Recomends.PNG

I now accept that i have the wrong card I think.

All I need to know is what card i need to buy? i also accept that it may not all be down to the card.

What has disappointed me the most is the lack of support from both Adobe and nvidia! Both have dropped this altogether since it got a little harder to fix than updating the drivers!

Here is my system would love to know if anyone can see any holes?

System.PNG

Interesting on this one that nvidia seem to recommend the Quadro?

Nvidia reccomend.PNG

Appreciate everyones input.

• 7. Re: Best Nvidia card for premiere Pro
                      ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

What are the specs of your system. Those really decide what card will be the best fit. Keep in mind the recommended cards are just what are tested. That doesn't mean they are the best solution. Also Nvidia has an interest to sell Quadro cards since the pricing is much higher for the cards. The specs of the card decide the performance with GPU acceleration. This means most of the Geforce cards are better for the GPU acceleration than the equivalent Quadro card which costs more.

Eric

ADk

• 8. Re: Best Nvidia card for premiere Pro
                        Highshots Level 1

Hi

Spec as listed above but here is the screenshot agian.

System.PNG

have now been looking at the GTX 980 all reports say its the best yet?

Its a bit of a mine field really.

Thanks for the input !

• 9. Re: Best Nvidia card for premiere Pro

Yes the 980GTX is the best option out right now. Your system wont push the card to it's limit but will still make use of it. The 970GTX would be more than enough.

Eric

ADk

• 10. Re: Best Nvidia card for premiere Pro
                            Highshots Level 1

Awesome! First straight sounding answer I have had

Would rather go down the best rout in case i up anything within the system.

Cant believe how poor the Adobe support has been over these issues.

Thanks again

• 11. Re: Best Nvidia card for premiere Pro

Marketing can trap you as well and some companies are learning that the hard way.

Eric

ADK