12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2014 4:00 PM by John Waller

Dreamweaver vs Drupal/WordPress

Geobop Level 1

I have a series of websites that based on a simple CMS I've been playing with for several years. I've long contemplated upgrading to a professional CMS, probably Drupal or WordPress, but I have so many questions I hardly know where to begin.

One big question is how am I going to translate all the customization I've spent years working on into another CMS language?

With that in mind, I wondered if anyone with Drupal or WordPress experience can tell me to what degree either program would "lock me in." There are two primary things I want from a CMS:

1) The ability to add special features (either built in or with plugins), rather than have to develop them myself.

2) A stable, responsive page design.

Is there some way to set Drupal or WordPress up in such a way that the basics (e.g. page design and display) are taken care of, but you can at the same time create what you might call a sandbox or workshop where you can more or less import your customizations and hacks? For example, I have my sisters set up so that certain URL's trigger background colors or images, or URL's belonging to a particular series trigger a nav index related to that series.

Also, when people upgrade to programs like Drupal or WordPress, how does it affect their Dreamweaver usage? Do some people abandon Dreamweaver altogether, or can Dreamweaver still be used as one's primary tool when working with something like Drupal or WordPress?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Dreamweaver vs Drupal/WordPress
          Rob Hecker2 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That's a lot of questions, and the overall answer is, "it depends."

Moving your data and design from one CMS to another is almost always going to be a lot of work directly in the database.

Does WP and Drupal lock you in? Yes. You can't, for example, use a WP plugin in Drupal without serious re-coding.

You can add special features to both WP and Drupal. There are many free and cheap plug-ins available for both. Custom coding for both platforms takes significant PHP and database skill.

when people upgrade to programs like Drupal or WordPress, how does it affect their Dreamweaver usage?

People who are not trying to alter WP or Drupal probably have little need for DW, but if you are trying to make code and even theme changes, then you may well use DW as a development tool.

• 2. Re: Dreamweaver vs Drupal/WordPress
            Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Dreamweaver is a tool used used for pre-launch coding.

Drupal and WordPress are frameworks for creating CMS sites.  Once those frameworks are installed and running on your remote server, you won't be using DW to edit the sites.  It's all handled online through your Drupal or WP dashboard's admin panel.

If you're knowledgeable about code and more specifically how Themes work in Drupal or WordPress, you can customize the Themes with Dreamweaver to do more.

Start with a Responsive Theme either free or commercially purchased that fits most of your requirements.  If your Theme lacks functionality, chances are good that an extension or plugin is available to fill in those gaps.

Drupal is for seasoned coders.  It's not simple to learn but you can do a great deal more with it.

WordPress is much easier to learn.

Nancy O.

• 3. Re: Dreamweaver vs Drupal/WordPress
              BenPleysier Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are many pro's and con's in using one of the big three CMS frameworks, too many to list here.

I tend to stick with my own creations for bespoke applications.

This site should help you decide. Take a special look at yii.

• 4. Re: Dreamweaver vs Drupal/WordPress
                Geobop Level 1

Wow, lots of things to think about. To be perfectly honest, my hunch is I'll never make the switch because I'm too locked in to my own designs. I certainly wouldn't upgrade to any CMS without hiring someone to help me install and configure it. But I suspect I'd need a lot of paid sessions to get all my projects translated to Drupal/WordPress.

• 5. Re: Dreamweaver vs Drupal/WordPress

Which CMS have you been using up 'til now?

Nancy O.

• 6. Re: Dreamweaver vs Drupal/WordPress
                    Geobop Level 1

I designed my own years ago. More precisely, I put one together with a lot of support from forums and have been refining it since them. I've come a long ways, but it's still pretty amateurish; I'm primarily a writer, and there just isn't enough time in the day to research and write articles and learn web design, programming, etc.

My original design had all my websites connected to a central website, which was essentially a repository for most of the PHP includes, CSS and JavaScript files, etc. It really helped me standardize things, but the obvious problem was "What happens to all the other sites if the main site goes down?"

• 7. Re: Dreamweaver vs Drupal/WordPress

Many commercial servers provide support for Express installation of WordPress with cPanel or some other server app.  If your server supports this, you can install WP on a sub-domain or site folder like /blogs. Try it and see how you like it.  If you hate it, you can delete the blogs folder later without effecting your current site(s).

Hostagator has a tutorial for installing WordPress using Fantastico's express WP installation widget.

http://www.hostgator.com/tutorials/wordpress/2.7/installing-wordpress-via-fantastico.htm

Nancy O.

• 8. Re: Dreamweaver vs Drupal/WordPress
                        Rob Hecker2 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

but the obvious problem was "What happens to all the other sites if the main site goes down?

Goes down because the server hard dirve failed, the server got hacked, or because you wrote code in a class that broke the system? Not really understanding the issue and how that relates to the issue of custom cms vs Drupal/WP.

• 9. Re: Dreamweaver vs Drupal/WordPress
                          Geobop Level 1

I think my current server has Fantastico. I actually installed WordPress a year or two ago to try it out. Setting up a simple WordPress blog is a cinch, but carving an entire site out of a WordPress installation is a far bigger challenge, of course.

I went to a WordPress users group meeting a few weeks ago, and one of the advisors advised us that WordPress isn't easy, even though it's advertised as user friendly. Ironically, some of the hardest questions to get answers to are the easiest questions - questions everyone thinks you should know the answer to intuitively. I've found it hard getting some of my simplest questions answered on forums.

Anyway, I decided there's no way I'd upgrade to WordPress or Drupal without hiring someone to help me with the installation and basic configuration and set up.

• 10. Re: Dreamweaver vs Drupal/WordPress
                            Geobop Level 1

It isn't directly related to Drupal/WordPress; someone just asked me about my CMS, and I was commenting on it. I was originally contemplating a similar WordPress or Drupal installation - one that somehow linked several sites together - but I can see now that would be a mistake.

• 11. Re: Dreamweaver vs Drupal/WordPress

I'm with Rob here.  I don't see how or why having multiple sites running off one WP or Drupal installation is a mistake.  A lot of people do it without any problems.  It goes without saying, you must be vigilant about reliable recovery backups -- site files and MySql data.  In fact, there are WP plugins that automate this task for you.

Nancy O.

• 12. Re: Dreamweaver vs Drupal/WordPress
                                John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I was originally contemplating a similar WordPress or Drupal installation - one that somehow linked several sites together - but I can see now that would be a mistake.

Not  a mistake at all.

Just have a robust recovery strategy in place.

Wordpress (where most of my experience lies) offers good multisite capabilities

Create A Network « WordPress Codex

The Beginner's Guide to WordPress Multisite

Couple that with a decent (commercial) backup solution such as Vaultpress VaultPress + Multisite | VaultPress | Help