5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2014 10:23 AM by JFPhoton

New Build

jsm1963 Level 1

Seeking some opinions on a system I'm hoping to build.  I cobbled this together this week from various discussions in this forum.  I'm trying to balance performance and budget.  I'm more of an enthusiast, and hope to continue earning a few dollars editing projects for friends (wedding videos, local events, etc...)  Money is tight, so I'm hoping I can get some ideas on ways to reduce the cost, although I think this about as good as I can do.  Should note that after I build this system one of the first things I plan to do down the road is double the memory.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/J7PnwP

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/J7PnwP/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($459.99 @ Amazon)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($26.99 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard  ($204.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($144.98 @ OutletPC)

Storage: Crucial M550 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($130.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($69.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($69.99 @ Amazon)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Superclocked ACX Video Card  ($238.99 @ NCIX US)

Case: Antec Nine Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($42.26 @ OutletPC)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (OEM) (64-bit)  ($128.98 @ OutletPC)

Total: $1633.11

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-28 15:36 EST-0500

• 1. Re: New Build
          RjL190365 Level 4

Your setup can be improved:

1) The case is cramped on the inside, from rear to front. If you put any hard drives at all whatsoever in the middle drive cage, the hard drives would then severely restrict the length of any cards in the primary PCI-e x16 slot to less than 9.5 inches. But the GTX 760 with ACX cooler, at exactly 9.5 inches long, will be a very tight squeeze if any hard drives are in the middle drive cage. Plus, the attached by default plastic fan mount will also restrict the PCI-e x16 card length to less than 9 inches.

2) The CX 600 is a bit underpowered for such a power-hungry PC configuration. You will need a 750W to 850W PSU for that rig.

• 2. Re: New Build
            jsm1963 Level 1

Are you sure about the case?  I compared that Nine Hundred to the popular Three Hundred.  That Nine Hundred is supposed to support video cards up to more that 15 inches long.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R7ck8d

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R7ck8d/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($459.99 @ Amazon)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($22.99 @ Micro Center)

Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard  ($204.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($144.98 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Superclocked ACX Video Card  ($249.99 @ NCIX US)

Case: Antec Three Hundred Illusion ATX Mid Tower Case  ($64.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($42.26 @ OutletPC)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (OEM) (64-bit)  ($128.98 @ OutletPC)

Total: $1650.11

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-29 13:44 EST-0500

I also have an earlier build based around the Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core CPU.  Wondering if I'd be sacrificing too much performance going that route.

• 3. Re: New Build
              RjL190365 Level 4

I am absolutely positive about the Antec Nine Hundred (based on my own personal experience with it). You see, that case was designed back in the days when even most enthusiast PCs were powered by only a single-core Pentium 4 CPU - and that its designers failed to anticipate higher-end graphics cards growing to much over 8 inches long. To accommodate a card that's 15 inches long, the entire center (middle) hard drive cage must be completely removed - and then, there would be absolutely nothing at all whatsoever to cover the front of the case where the drive cage is removed (since the case front panel at that location is permanently attached to the removed drive cage).

With the middle hard drive cage in place but the plastic fan mount in the rear of the cage removed, the longest card that can be accommodated is just barely over 11 inches long if no hard drives at all are installed in that cage.

Your alternative case pick is equally as outdated as the Antec Nine Hundred, with its equally intrusive internal hard drive layout (in both cases, a hard drive bay/cage that orients the hard drive from front to rear instead of from side to side, and all hard drives will protrude from the rear of the hard drive cage by a couple of inches). Plus, neither case has any front panel USB 3.0 ports at all whatsoever (the front USB ports on both cases are only USB 2.0 compliant). At one point there were special editions of both cases that had front USB 3.0 ports - but their implementations require a rear-panel USB 3.0 connection and a slot backplate or an external-to-internal USB 3.0 header adapter.

One more thing: A system with such a higher-end six-core CPU really needs 32GB of RAM. Your planned build has only 16GB of RAM - total. With such a powerful CPU, too little RAM can really hamper performance (in this case, unbalanced).

• 4. Re: New Build
                jsm1963 Level 1

How about the Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case?

You're right about the memory.  I was planning to double that and also add the two Seagate drives later, but it's just as well do it all now if I'm going to put out this kind of money.

Also, this is the lower cost system I was talking about, but I think I've been convinced that it's better to go with the 6 core CPU

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/B6hjLk

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/B6hjLk/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($289.99 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($103.79 @ Newegg)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Superclocked ACX Video Card  ($249.99 @ NCIX US)

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($69.99 @ NCIX US)

Total: $1398.66

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-29 16:47 EST-0500

• 5. Re: New Build
                  JFPhoton Level 3

....you may want to consider placing the 2 seagate HHDs in a RAID0 off the motherboard, to gain the necessary speed in serving up your video files while editing or exporting....especially when you have multiple video tracks. To protect the data on the RAID...you would ALSO need to add an "enterprise level" 4GB 7200rpm HDD to BACK UP the RAID 0 contents.

RIGHT NOW......you are spending $140 on two 2TB drives that in a RAID 0 setup, would give you ~ 250 to 300 MB/sec. transfer rate....which is MUCH BETTER than the 130 to 150 rate of each individual drive which would FURTHER be reduced by "fill degradation" and latency,( when using songle drives...one at a time with SATA ).

TODAY you can buy the Seagate 1TB drives for $44 each !!!!.....then, you could create a 4 disk, 4 TB RAID 0 off the motherboard for only $176 !!!....AND it would be running at between 500 and 600 MB/sec !!!.....on par with your Crucial M550 OS SSD !!

BUT....you would DEFINITELY NEED that "enterprise level" 4 TB backup drive....Seagate makes a GREAT one.... with a  5 year warranty and over 200MB/sec. performance because of a 128MB cache !

Seagate ST4000NM0044 4TB 128MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" SED Enterprise Hard Drive....$316 at new Egg today