6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2014 12:26 PM by DrKeeko

Photoshop CS5 and Nikon D810 Raw Files

DrKeeko Level 1

I have been using Photoshop CS5 Extended (Version 12.0.4) to open and work on RAW files from my older Canon camera. I recently upgraded to a Nikon D810 and I am getting the message that the Camera Raw plugin does not handle these files (NEF).

I tried to upgrade from within Photoshop but the error message just said that an error was encountered and to try again later. I did this several times and finally went to the Adobe web site and just downloaded the Camera Raw Version 6.7.1. This is the version I am now using.

But I cannot get Photoshop to open the NEF files from the Nikon camera.

It is even possible to do this with the version of Photoshop I am using? If so, can someone tell me what steps I need to take to get this fixed?

I am using an Apple Mac Pro for this work.

Many thanks.

• 1. Re: Photoshop CS5 and Nikon D810 Raw Files
          Yammer Level 4

That version of CS doesn't support a recent enough version of Camera Raw. You can download DNG Converter and make DNG copies of your NEF files which can be opened by CS5 for free. If that's too much hassle, you can try Lightroom, or upgrade to CS6/CC.

http://yphotography.co.uk/articles/get-adobe-camera-raw-acr-open-photos/

• 2. Re: Photoshop CS5 and Nikon D810 Raw Files
            John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Refer these two tables

Camera Raw plug-in | Supported cameras

Camera Raw-compatible Adobe applications

The Nikon D810 was first supported in Adobe Camera Raw 8.6 which is only compatible with CS6, CC and CC 2014. There is not (and never will be) a Camera Raw plugin for CS5 which  will read D810 Raw files.

As Yammer suggests, your options:

1. Upgrade to CS6
            2. Buy Lightroom
            3. Join the Cloud
            4. Use the free DNG converter, convert all D810 Raw files to DNG then edit the DNGs in CSs
              Photoshop Help | Digital Negative (DNG)

• 3. Re: Photoshop CS5 and Nikon D810 Raw Files
              DrKeeko Level 1

Yammer and John W.,

Many thanks for getting back to me on this. I have to say that this has been more than a little frustrating and--frankly--disappointing. One just has to wonder why Photoshop would not be able to extend its file-type capability to Nikon NEF files without asking its users to upgrade to a new version. I understand the "klugy" approach to using DNG Converter but this seems like a convoluted approach in the context of image processing.

I know that many people seem content with the subscription business model but I am not there yet. So I will either go with Lightroom or upgrade to CS6.

Having spent the better part of a day on trying all kinds of "fixes," I finally gave up and turned to this site. I only wish I had started there in the first place!

Again, I appreciate your efforts in helping me understand what is needed to address this issue.

• 4. Re: Photoshop CS5 and Nikon D810 Raw Files
                Yammer Level 4

DrKeeko wrote:

I have to say that this has been more than a little frustrating and--frankly--disappointing. One just has to wonder why Photoshop would not be able to extend its file-type capability to Nikon NEF files without asking its users to upgrade to a new version. I understand the "klugy" approach to using DNG Converter but this seems like a convoluted approach in the context of image processing.

This is a common reaction, which I have seen many times here over the years, but there are very good reasons for the way things are.

I already went into this in the article I linked to, above, but to recap:

Camera manufacturers create a new raw format for every new camera model they design, they use the same extension (NEF for Nikon), but, internally, the format is different.  For this reason, Adobe has to obtain a copy of the camera as soon as possible and work out how to decode the new format, so they can update the converter.

I am a computer engineer by training, but without knowing Adobe's specifics, I can't say for certain, designing a backwards-compatible plug-in could be a difficult job, depending on new raw format and sensor technologies since the software was released.  I have suggested in the past that building an Adobe "codec" would be one way of increasing backwards compatibility, but it may be more complicated than that.

I remember when the D90 came out. People found that they could open the raw files by changing a couple of bytes with a hex editor, by tricking Camera Raw into thinking they were from a D300, which used the same sensor.  That's probably an extreme case.  Lots of new cameras use new sensors, and new technology, so it may not be a straightforward job to adapt to it.  Indeed, some sensor (like Foveon and u4/3 for example) use such a different system that it requires a whole new approach to demosaicing.

You have to ask yourself why, when most camera manufacturers can't even be bothered to use a standardised open format for raw files, how far Adobe should bend over backwards to make old unsupported software compatible.  DNG Converter is a pretty good compromise, and it's free.  I even read recently someone cleverly suggest that you can use DNG Converter as a file downloader as well as a converter (source directory on memory card, target directory on computer). Personally, I like to have the NEF.

• 5. Re: Photoshop CS5 and Nikon D810 Raw Files
                  b2martin_a Level 2

This compatibility issue for RAW files applies to all new cameras, not just Nikon. 

• 6. Re: Photoshop CS5 and Nikon D810 Raw Files
                    DrKeeko Level 1

Yammer,

Again, I appreciate the detailed reply. And I can certainly understand the challenge Adobe faces in trying to decipher each new format of "RAW" that the camera manufacturers roll out. Perhaps I am just not comprehending this market. But I would have thought that a certain type of symbiotic relationship would exist between the manufacturers and the software companies. In the absence of this, a camera owner would be forgiven for considering other options for processing images. And, on the other hand, a long-time user of a software application might lean toward a camera manufacturer that ensures its "product" can be managed without having to shift software applications.

For what it is worth, I have noted that Apple updates its iPhoto application fairly regularly and, in my case, it handled the Nikon NEF files without any difficulty. Given that, I appreciate your point about Adobe being given some slack because of what the camera manufacturers do with regard to the various formats of "RAW."

In the meantime, I am reminded of the adage: When the elephants are dancing, the rabbits wait. (and pay...)