3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2007 10:05 PM by stephan.k

A Font Question

stephan.k Level 1
      Dear Font Gurus

I've been trying to resolve this on my own, with help files and with google for a while now but I think I need to branch out and seek some help from you guys.

I am updating a flash 5 movie from someone else but I'm having issues with one font type. The same movie with the same font type worked fine on another machine in a previous flash version. I'm opening it in flash 8 and exporting it as flash7.

- The font appears in the font list in flash with the name: "FC-FranklinGothic-Mdm"
      - When I highlight a text and switch to this font the text disappears
      - When I export the flash movie containing this font I get the following warning:
      "Some characters could not be converted to outlines becaue an appropriate font outline is not available..."
      - The same font works fine in photoshop and in illustrator
      - The font does not appear in my Font book Application. (Is it in there possibly under a differnt name?
      - I've located the font in my user>libarary>fonts folder. I'm dragging it into the font book application but it still doesn't appear.
      - The font is a "PostScript Type I outline Font"

Any help or insight is very much appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Best

Stephan

• 1. Re: A Font Question
          sly one Level 1
          You sure you have both parts of the font? Postscript fonts require a bitmap file and a postscript file.
          • 2. Re: A Font Question
            stephan.k Level 1
            Thanks sly one for your message.

hmm that could be it. I'm not sure if I have both parts.

How can I find out? Would it be two separate files? How do I find out which font is associated with the font name in flash's font list?

In the user>library>fonts folder the font is listed as "FrankGotMed" (PostScript Type I outline Font).

I can only assume that it's the same as font labeld as "FC-FranklinGothic-Mdm" in flash which is not working?

• 3. Re: A Font Question
              stephan.k Level 1
              I ended up putting the font file in every font folder I could possibly find on the computer and now it seems ot be working.

what a strange world the world of fonts.

I wish there was a way to find out which font file on the computer the fonts in the flash font list are pointing to. Also i'd be curious if there's some decent tutorial our there on fonts on the mac. Why are there so many font folders?

Thanks again sly one. sorry for the double posting.

Good night.

Cheers

Stephan