9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2015 7:00 PM by Onewinged37

Premiere Pro CC 2014 playback freezing and crashing with new iMac i7

Elephant Quilt

Using Premiere Pro CC 2014 and having constant playback freezing and software crashes on a brand new iMac i7.

Here are the specs:

iMac i7 4.0GHz 5k Retina

32 GB Ram

AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB graphics card

512GB Solid State Drive

I was on chat yesterday with an Adobe tech. Although playback/render settings show the OpenCL option to utilize the AMD graphics card for processing, I was advised to switch to "Software Only" as that card is not supported yet. I had to re-render my 45 minute documentary (which doesn't appear to be any faster than it was on my old 2011 iMac by the way) and it still has the same issues.

So frustrating? Anyone else experiencing this? Any advice? I hope I didn't just buy this "super machine" in vein.

Thanks,

Jason

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2014 playback freezing and crashing with new iMac i7
          ckimbell

Man. The whole NVIDIA Open CL GPU acceleration with an AMD GPU on the mac is freaking me out! Hope you fix your issues and see a proper speed increase like that Mac should be giving!

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2014 playback freezing and crashing with new iMac i7
            Emillang

Hi guys,

I have the same problem.

I'm on a pretty new iMac 27" (bought sep 14) containing following specs:

3.5 IntelCore i7 Processor

16 Gb 1600 MHz DDR3 Ram

1 Tb Fusion Drive Hard Drive

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 4GB GDDRS Graphics

My problem is, that i am suddenly experiencing instability in my Premiere Pro CC 2014 program.

I have been working with Premiere Pro CC since september 2014 without a single problem, but now my playback function have seized to work.

Whenever i open my project, i can play back my sequence once, and after this nothing will play back.

When i try to shut down the program, it crashes, and i have to force quit. I suspect, the problem to have started when i updated my CreativeCloud about 24 hours ago.

I'm so screwed on this one right now, since i have a client waiting.

Help is very much appreciated!!

Kind Regards

Emil

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2014 playback freezing and crashing with new iMac i7
              Emillang Level 1

Hi igen,

I found this forum, where the problem is discussed.

Towards the end, there are some useful information.

I used the method of exporting my project as an XML file, and reopening it in a

new Premiere project. Other than being a bit of a setback, and my effects are more or less gone,

at least i now have my sequense to work on..

Hope you have luck finding a solution to the problem.

Emil

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2014 playback freezing and crashing with new iMac i7
                Grindhouse

I started to experience the exact same issue on my system a week or so ago... Premiere Pro cc 2014 freezes and crashes for the smallest thing... sometimes I can edit 3 to 4 minutes seamlessly but then the simplest thing makes it freeze and crash! Really annoying. 

Im also on a 5k imac, 4,0 GHz fyrkärnig Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost upp till 4,4 GHz, 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 SDRAM, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4 GB GDDR5. Was working fine all december and up until a week or so ago.... in the middle of editing a feature film... so super frustrating. Have you guys solved the problem? Or found a solution? Does the "export an xml, create a new project and import the xml work"? I also saw a post about read/write settings... but can't find that now... Any input of help would be great.

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2014 playback freezing and crashing with new iMac i7
                  hbremner Level 1

Hi Peter,

I have been having the same issues as described by the other users. I've got exactly the same issue as Emillang. My issues started yesterday afternoon. The only change that happened yesterday on my system was an update to Java. I have now unwound that update (back to 7 75) and have performed all of your suggestions about too. However, Premiere is still freezing after I render anything in the Timeline. The error that pops up in the bottom right hand corner is 'A low-level exception occurred in Adobe Player (player)'.

Do you have any other suggestions as I am now under serious time pressure to deliver a piece to a client.

Many thanks

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2014 playback freezing and crashing with new iMac i7
                    petergaraway Adobe Employee

Can you consistently reproduce this failure? Are there exact steps that trigger the freeze? When Premiere freezes do you get the SBBOD?  Can you tell me more about your sequence?

- File type or types? 

- Effects applied?

- Sequence settings?

Since your under pressure to get your work done, have you tried disabling your GPU and render is Software? Does the issue still occur?

Thanks,

Peter Garaway

Adobe

Premiere Pro

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2014 playback freezing and crashing with new iMac i7
                      hbremner Level 1

Thanks for coming back to me Peter. Yes I can replicate this every time. If I open up my project and change anything on the timeline, it stops the playback function. No SBBOD, the rest of the program works fine. It is just that you can't playback anything in either monitor. I then close the project and try to shut down Premiere, this is where it then hangs. The program just won't shut down, and you have to Force Quit.

File types are all .MOV

I have applied a few Dip to black, cross dissolve and directional blur. The audio has some automation too. There is an adjustment layer with sharpening, contrast and a Lumetri (Max Desat).

Sequence settings are: DSLR, 29.97, 1920:1080, Square Pixels,30Fps Drop-frame Timecode

Render is already set as Software. I can't seem to actually change that anyway. It is greyed out.

This latest clip is a series of 4 that I have produced. All are identical in layout/format, with the exception of the content of course. The other three had no issues over the last week, it is just this latest one that started to go wrong yesterday for no apparent reason.

UPDATE: Peter, I tried starting again in a completely new Project and it was working perfectly fine. I went to render the timeline and Premiere completely crashed with a message saying that it had stopped working and would try to recover my files. It thankfully did so and created a 'Copy of' project which seems to have rendered out and exported ok. Something is definitely a little off though as it has been behaving perfectly nicely until yesterday, when quite a few of us seem to have had very similar issues. Thanks.

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2014 playback freezing and crashing with new iMac i7
                        Onewinged37

I'm also having the exact same issue. Brand new Imac 5k, just unboxed today, and it is crashing in Adobe Premiere often. I can replicate it by opening a project and adding a couple transitions and it freezes my entire computer. I literally can't exist out and have to restart the cpu. Anyone know the fix? I'm so glad other people are experiencing these issues, thought my imac was screwed up or something.