16 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2007 9:12 AM by aroth21

With the new Director Release

shockland.com
      Hi Ritesh Banglani ,

With the new version of Director (which will contain 3d enhancements) , will the Havok behaviours (i mean the havok xtra and lingo codes that are related with havok) , multiuser xtra behaviours and 3d lingo behaviours be still supported ?

Or do we have to code our games from the beginning again?

I hope that my shockwave games will be able to be played in the new version of shockwave player without any changes...

Can you give some information about the enhancements? If there will be some radical changes, I will stop developing new games and wait for the new coming Director release.

best regards
      ege karaosmanoğlu
      http://www.shockland.com
        • 1. Re: With the new Director Release
          Charles Parcell Level 1
          I can't comment on most of your questions but I will turn the question back to you. What features big and small would you like to see in an enhanced 3D feature? Anyone can add their .02 if they like. The more input the better!
          • 2. Re: With the new Director Release
            AlinaX
            quote:

Originally posted by: Charles Parcell
            What features big and small would you like to see in an enhanced 3D feature?
            Anyone can add their .02 if they like. The more input the better!

http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director/survey/games/top.asp
            Do you want more?

• 3. Re: With the new Director Release
              Level 7
              I second those 3D features in the link.

I'd rate bug fixes far above added features, especially the Z buffer and
              nVidia chipset issues and the crippling slow down when too many shaders are
              present in a scene. Please don't build further on top of a faulty base.

I'd also love to see a full screen /res change game feature built in without
              the need for an irritating Xtra for people to risk trusting to download
              (like oToy, Virtools and a lot of other plugins have). (and fix the shadow
              map multi texture coords per vertex limitation in the w3D format).

Also FPS relative mouse coords without an Xtra would surely be high on a lot
              of peoples lists, and not be a major job to implement?

At least the update to DX9 without any new features is better than nothing,
              but at least we now know extra features are TWO versions away :(

Good luck with the work though, I'm rooting for Director to claw it's way
              back level with its rivals! It is by far the best dev environment for speedy
              one man development.

Cheers

Richard Smith
              www.funpods.com

• 4. Re: With the new Director Release
                shockland.com Level 1
                And linux version of shockwave player.

regards
                ege
                • 5. Re: With the new Director Release
                  Sonic2004
                  Hi there. I agree with in increased 3D support and performance. I love director and my customer base is happy with what they can get inside a browser, but I run into walls quite a bit with the ability to handle thousands of non-static 3D objects in an environment. Essentially, I have moved more and more into xTra programming to alleviate any performance issues I have, but I cannot solve all of them this way. Also, multi-platform support for UNIX, Linux, Mac, etc... would be beautiful. The number one biggest problem I have getting by in for Shockwave usege in my customer base is, believe it or not, no UNIX support.

Thanks for reading,
                  Dave
                  • 6. With the new Director Release
                    raschko
                    I would like to see Director 3D have the ability to use the .x file format. Or atleast something that Blender3D can export to.
                    :D
                    -- Edit --
                    There have been plenty of people asking for external database support; although haven't yet seen one regarding the following idea.

What about director including its own database cats member, which could be internal or external.
                    This in itself would allow for numerous applications..one such being a self contained installer; platform independent support..etc.
                    • 7. Re: With the new Director Release
                      DAVID NAJAR
                      Hi, I have a huge Director´s 3D wish list:

-Better collision system (collision detection and collision response separated)
                      -Interface to use openGL or DirectX API´s within Director`s coding enviroment
                      -3D cast members save command (I hate rebuild any 3D World every time, fileSaveMode doesn’t work)
                      -Integrated animated textures (no more imaging lingo)
                      -Normal maps for lightning, render and model data
                      -Integrated physics system
                      -Bump, specularity, displace, reflection, self-illumination, transparency, glossiness, and so on texture maps
                      -Access to 3D buffers for image post-processing (Front, back, z, stencil, color, and so on)
                      -Vertex morph maps or any kind of efficient vertex displacement feature
                      --Robust user system information (hardware graphics capabilities)
                      -Interface to write vertex and pixel shaders programs with the High-Level Shading Language (HLSL) within Director
                      -Improved Shockwave 3D exporter from Lightwave with more options
                      -Shadows!!! Any kind of shadows!!!
                      -Global illumination
                      -Stereoscopic render for virtual reality applications (no more 2 camera sets to work with the eMagin Z800 HMD)
                      -A better implementation of modelsUnderRay command (more performance)
                      -Integrated 3D property’s palette (no more 3DPI even it is great!!!)
                      -Resource, model, texture, uv´s, shaders, etc. visualize windows or edit palettes
                      -Export W3D files (objects, textures, motions, etc.) to .lwo, .x, .obj, .3ds, .max, .bvh, .png, etc, from Director (no more W3D file hacking when source 3D files are missing)
                      -Better particle system
                      -Integrated 3D sound system
                      -Integrated 3D event queue system
                      -Better 3D rotations (no more gimbal lock issues, 360 degrees? quaternion rotations is the key!!!)
                      -Support for GUI inside a shockwave3d cast member (not just overlays: buttons, animations, video, text, scrolls, and so on)
                      -Video graphics memory callbacks (could be good to know the time it takes to uploading textures to video graphic memory, not just a screen freeze)
                      -What about directInput or openAL interfaces? (no more Xtras)
                      -Stable polygon-vertex count from 3D application to shockwave3d File format (is a most for shadow maps!!!)
                      -FPS, CPU usage, Polygon count gizmos!!!
                      -Integrated parametric animation values (sin, cosine, circular, TCB, hermite, spline, bezier, parabolic, constant, stepped, linear, formula, oscillate, repeat and so on!!!)
                      -Hard & Soft bodies system
                      -3D Timeline???
                      -More, much more 3D lingo commands!!!
                      -In fact this list[:] could be endless, here I mentioned a few ones!!!!

Ok, ok, ok, is just a dream…. …but dreams come true!!!

Thanks a lot to Director`s Development Team for let me play and enjoy with this powerful tool since 1993 (aka Macromind`s Development Team). You´re the best!!!
                      • 8. Re: With the new Director Release
                        director_lover
                        Wouw great list...

btw: exporter for 3Dmax... well should be added again... and upgraded ofcourse!
                        • 9. With the new Director Release
                          thismarty Level 1
                          Allowing us to use W3D cast memeber instances in non-DTS mode without a performance hit would be great.

That way, we could integrate SW3D elements in our 2D work (ie. paritcles, sprites). Plus, we would be able to layer 2D elements and even SWF instances over the 3D for HUD-type stuff.

• 10. With the new Director Release
                            raschko Level 1
                            I would love to see linux support, since one of my contracts just changed their user platform.
                            • 11. Re: With the new Director Release
                              Jmvr
                              I think Adobe should make a 3D physics Xtra using the FREE Aegia physics engine. It is better than Havok, is free, will support hardware physics cards.
                              It is what they are using in Unity3D, your competition.
                              • 12. Re: With the new Director Release
                                _lw
                                >I think Adobe should make a 3D physics Xtra using the FREE Aegia physics engine. It is better than Havok, is free, will
                                >support hardware physics cards.
                                >It is what they are using in Unity3D, your competition.

The ageia physics in Unity does not support a lot of things, for the moment havok is better implemented into shockwave then ageia into unity.

I work at the moment on a project which uses multiuser, havok (collision between irregular meshes), creating things on the fly (dynamic scenegraph), being able to link 3D files dynamically to the engine and using flash-elements.

Unity is for the moment a tool to create nice visualFX (if the grafic card can display them), the rest will need some more time to be usable to do different kinds of projects. At the moment i have not the time to wait until unity is on the same level as Director and i don't have the money to buy a mac just to sneek into mac-only (if i would have the money i would do it :) ).

@rashko:
                                >I would love to see linux support, since one of my contracts just changed their user platform.
                                This would make Director a killer-App.

For the moment more performance on MacOSX and Vista are the most important things. (the shockwaveplayer got an update to work better under vista version: Shockwave 10.2.0.021).
                                • 13. Re: With the new Director Release
                                  raschko Level 1
                                  I agree.
                                  Would be best to work on the major platforms first; Not that Linux isn't popular.

One can dream though! :D
                                  • 14. Re: With the new Director Release
                                    AlinaX Level 1
                                    quote:

Originally posted by: raschko
                                    I agree.
                                    Would be best to work on the major platforms first; Not that Linux isn't popular.

Would be best if Adobe is able to solve all the current shockwave plugin bugs first of all.
                                    Windows Vista, until its first (or second !) service pack is not a viable option.
                                    Linux users doesn't represent almost anything.

We need a very stable plugin and DX9 support. I think that's all for this year.
                                    • 15. With the new Director Release
                                      raschko Level 1
                                      Linux users do represent a percentage of the population striving for an open source alternative to windows or atleast the Mac os. Yes, it would seem small when compared to other operating systems.. but it is a number none the less.

Dell itself will be launching machines with the option to install UBUNTU in the near future.
                                      • 16. Re: With the new Director Release
                                        aroth21
                                        Hi, don't know if someone's mentioned it but better interactive Flash texture integration (so that the actionscript in the original flash file doesn't have to be modified ie. AS directly applied to buttons with on Release instead of having to put what_btn.onRelease = function () {} in the main timeline). Thanks.