4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2014 2:49 PM by rob day

Indesign and Photoshop?HELP NEEDED NOW!!!

irissullivan

How do I make a copied photoshoped picture bigger without distorting features in indesign? Please help I have  this project due in a couple days and am starting and don't know much about indesign!

• 1. Re: Indesign and Photoshop?HELP NEEDED NOW!!!
          MW Design Level 4

Oh, I just love such thread titles. It always makes me think of the ol' saying: A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine. InDesign isn't just an application one can pick up and run with. Nor, evidently, is the knowledge of what a bitmap image is.

Anytime you enlarge a bitmap bigger than 100% of its pixel dimensions there will be pixelation. It is only as good as it will get at 100% of its original size. And you should be placing the original PSD file, not copying and pasting.

All that said, I have zero clear idea what you mens by "distorting features in indesign."

If you need help, and need it now, you would do well to upload the PSD file to dropbox.com and provide a link for someone to download it. We can then best advise you.

Mike

• 2. Re: Indesign and Photoshop?HELP NEEDED NOW!!!
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

If you mean, you want to scale an image proportionally, you have to hold the shift key when scaling up or down. Or you have to observe the control panel, to check, if the scale factor is in both dimensions the same.

• 3. Re: Indesign and Photoshop?HELP NEEDED NOW!!!
              Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

irissullivan wrote:

How do I make a copied photoshoped picture bigger without distorting features in indesign? Please help I have  this project due in a couple days and am starting and don't know much about indesign!

What do you mean by "copied"? Did you copy and paste from Photoshop. If so you should never do that. Save the file as a tiff or psd if it's raster, or PDF if it has vector shapes, masks or text layers.

Making a picture bigger? How are you doing this? What do you mean by distorting?

Making a picture bigger has an affect on it's effective resolution. For example a 300 ppi image scaled 150% would be 200 ppi.

If you don't know much about InDesign then I recommend Sandee Cohens InDesign Quickstart Guide.

• 4. Re: Indesign and Photoshop?HELP NEEDED NOW!!!
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Anytime you enlarge a bitmap bigger than 100% of its pixel dimensions there will be pixelation. It is only as good as it will get at 100% of its original size.

When you place an image directly on a page its initial placement is at 100%. The scale percentage has nothing to do with pixel dimensions, but rather the image's saved inch dimensions.

So these 3 images are all at 100%, have the same pixel dimension (1200x750), but have been saved at different pixels per inch 72, 254, 500. The 500ppi image could be scaled to 160% and still have an effective resolution of over 300, and the 72ppi image has a scale of 100%, but not enough resolution for most print applications.

Screen Shot 2014-11-29 at 5.48.46 PM.png