4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2014 10:11 AM by ECBowen

New build. Need help with choosing GPU

omid_pakbin Level 1

New system is built around:

i7 5960x

32gb ram

240gb ssd for cache (AE and PremierePro)

2 x 1tr hdd's in RAID 0

3tr hdd for storage

I'm trying to decide what GPU to get. My budget is $400. GTX 970 seems like a good choice but I don't know if there is really any performance difference between 970 and cheaper nVidia GPU's, as AE and Premiere are mostly CPU powered.

It's worth mentioning that I'm going to buy Element 3D v2 for AE as well.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

• 1. Re: New build. Need help with choosing GPU
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Read about balanced systems at Tweakers Page

• 2. Re: New build. Need help with choosing GPU
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

AE is mostly CPU power but Premiere and AME use the GPU for many processes almost nonstop. The GPU has significant impact for Premiere and AME. I suggest the 970GTX at this point especially since it's in your budget.

Eric

ADK

• 3. Re: New build. Need help with choosing GPU
              omid_pakbin Level 1

Thank you so much sir.

I placed my order for gtx970.

I have a question about what you said though. You said AME uses GPU as well. It only uses GPU if the project itself has GPU accelerated components, right? For example AME wouldn't use any GPU at all if I'm rendering a project made in AE; But would use GPU if my AE project has Element 3D (videocopilot) in it, or Raytracying - or if I have a Premiere Pro project being rendered?

• 4. Re: New build. Need help with choosing GPU
                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

No AME uses the GPU for the same processes that Premiere does which includes scaling, interpolation, and some FX. Scaling and interpolation are often very intensive processing tasks so using the GPU for those allows the CPU to focus on decoding and encoding which saves significant time on render/export. If you render the Project via AE's render queue then no GPU acceleration will be used. If you render via AME then yes the GPU acceleration would be used to some extent. I normally suggest people link AE back to Premiere if they have to link and then export from Premiere. The better way is to export from AE as finished and import the finished into Premiere and replace the comp area. The performance with AE linked to Premiere is far more limiting that AE render directly.

Eric

ADk