12 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2018 6:39 AM by PECourtejoie

file-format module cannot parse the file

KaCe Level 1

What does the error message: "Could not complete your request because the file-format module cannot parse the file." mean? I made the png image in PS. Now it can't parse it, but I don't know what that means or how to correct it.

KaCe

• 1. Re: file-format module cannot parse the file
          Level 5

It means Adobe Photoshop cannot read that file.

That file is corrupted, irretrievably damaged.

You "correct" it by using your backup.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: file-format module cannot parse the file
            KaCe Level 1

For non-techs, saying "this file is corrupt" would be so much easier to understand. <sigh> Thanks for your input.

• 3. Re: file-format module cannot parse the file
              Level 5

…but then there would be instances where that statement wouldn't be correct.

For instance in the case of a file whose format were not supported by Photoshop.

Tangentially, please note that you're not communicating with Adobe here. I am most certainly not affiliated with Adobe in any way, shape or form.

Remember, you are not addressing Adobe here in the user forums.  You are requesting help from volunteers users just like you who give their time free of charge. No one has any obligation to answer your questions.

• 4. Re: file-format module cannot parse the file
                Level 5

Incidentally, and with all due respect, how does one get to be an "MVP" on these forums while still showing 0 points after having been subscribed for 6 years, and not knowing what "parsing a file" means?

Just curious.

• 5. Re: file-format module cannot parse the file
                  KaCe Level 1

Dear Curious,

I volunteer my time too. I help others learn about Adobe software. I am not "trained" in this, but learn as I go. I have never had the warning I wrote about and that is why I posted. I thought as much, but posted anyway to be sure that I wasn't missing some clue. I deal with a large number of applications and all levels of members. It may be easy to be glib, but the hours I spend helping others is as valid as yours. I may not have points, but that is because I don't 'know' all I feel I should to answer. We each contribute as we can. I do wish I had more training, and I work on line with the Lynda.com series. Thank you for your help. I hope your curiosity is satisfied. :-)

KaCe

PS

If you have a lot of skills in PS and didn't mind the occasional question I'd like to write you again.

• 6. Re: file-format module cannot parse the file
                    Level 5

The keyword "lynda.com" answers my curiosity.  Thank you for elaborating.

I only contribute publicly to the forum as time and health permit, so I regret that I cannot accommodate direct or private.correspondence.

• 7. Re: file-format module cannot parse the file
                      t.moussa Level 1

This means one of two cases:

1- your file is corrupted and you have to check  a backup copy of it
                      2- your file format is not as you expect, i.e. your file has the extension "png" while it's really not png file. Try to change the extension manually to ".jpg" and open the file again

2 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: file-format module cannot parse the file
                        markc34105791 Level 1

I have the same issue and I know my file is not corrupt and I do not have the 'Hide file extensions' option selected - my files are named properly.

This issue just recently appeared. I have not had this issue in the past.

On my Windows machine I have Creative Cloud installed and all applications are current.

On my Mac, I have Creative Suite 5 installed.

The Creative Cloud (Windows) version will not open (or recognize) the .png format in Photoshop or Illustrator but my Creative Suite (Mac) version does recognize the same files.

Photoshop presents this message (when trying to Open): Could not complete your request because the file-format module cannot parse the file.

Illustrator presents this message (when trying to Place): Could not read the file because the plug-in could not understand this file.

What's odd is that I have no plug-ins related to the Creative Cloud products.

Please provide a solution regarding how I can make .png files open in the Creative Cloud apps.

Thanks,

Mark

• 9. Re: file-format module cannot parse the file
                          markc34105791 Level 1

As a follow-up to the above post...

My Adobe Creative Cloud InDesign does recognize the same .png files that Photoshop and Illustrator do not recognize.

I have a feeling there's something wrong with the Adobe file format library for Creative Cloud.

I have several customers reporting the identical scenario. We've verified this behavior on a number of unique machines.

Please escalate!

Thanks,

Mark

• 10. Re: file-format module cannot parse the file
                            sarafoxfire Level 1

I have this problem as well, and I know the file is not corrupted. I start in an original PSD file, and either "Save as" png or "Export PNG" the file. Then I go to open it, and i get this error!

Any suggestions?

• 11. Re: file-format module cannot parse the file
                              daniella777 Level 1

Your second option worked...thanks!!

• 12. Re: file-format module cannot parse the file
                                PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Just in case, some recent versions of Photoshop had a bug, cured in 19.1.4, see: Fixed issues in Adobe Photoshop CC  with "could not parse the file"