4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2014 3:32 AM by Willi Adelberger

Using "Objects" like Illustrator in InDesign. Is there a modular way to use instances?

IdamIndia Level 1

Let me elaborate...

(I see Object Styles but not "Objects" Panel like in illustrator)

What I want to do?

1. Use a Name plate in my document that I can tweak later, and the changes reflect in all pages.

2. I want to be able to change color, effects as well as text.

Example: Name plate that has one Title text box, one Plate number text box, two separate color background boxes, each for the Title and the Plate number

Possible solutions I am aware of?

A. Use Master Page

Add Name plate to master page.

"Pluck out" the name plate on the page (lift-off as some call it)

Move it to new location, change text (plate number in my case), don't change any box colors.

Color changes to boxes in Master, reflects in all pages. Good!

Issue: Text boxes that have not been edited in the page, still do not reflect new updated text, color changes to box is updated.

B. Use Find and Replace

Use this to find the name plate text and replace it with new text.

I have not tried it, but I am only wanting to change text style in one text box. Does this feature help to do this?

C. (please add)

My Questions:

1. Is there any other method to accomplish this?

2. When I have not edited the text, why solution A (plucking out from Master page) does not reflect changes to text? It does show changes to color background!

• 1. Re: Using "Objects" like Illustrator in InDesign. Is there a modular way to use instances?
          IdamIndia Level 1

Additional use case: If I want to add a LOGO to the Name plate, can I not do it later? If there was an "Objects" feature I would make few such "dummy" objects and replace them with a logo, or add a logo to some other object - and LOGO will show newly everywhere. In Illustrator I could do it. Not in Indesign?

• 2. Re: Using "Objects" like Illustrator in InDesign. Is there a modular way to use instances?
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant
            1. Most important is the use of styles—Object, Paragraph and Character Styles.
            2. Styles can be based on another style and so inherit their properties and changed from that base.
            3. You can create linked content, text or images or other content. You can use the Content Tools (4th slot in the tool bar) to create linked content in the same but also in another document. To change all instances you have to change the original object, they are visible in the link panel.
            • 3. Re: Using "Objects" like Illustrator in InDesign. Is there a modular way to use instances?
              IdamIndia Level 1

Thanks Willi Adelberger for this reminder (point1) It helped me to correct one "stuck thinking" I had, and helped to a degree.

I could not locate "Content Tools" but exploring now from Indesign help (content collector... was something else...) 

Stuck mindset!

I was stuck thinking I need an exact same feature (like "Objects" of Illustrator or "blocks" of Autocad or Instances in Max... where each is an instance of an archetype - master)

With that, I saw no need to use styles for the NamePlate I was using. Since it was defined in just the master page, while other pages simply moved it to new positions.

But then I went back and redefined those master objects with styles

It helped to a degree

I can except for the textual content can control everything of the NamePlate text.

I still cannot simply change text like "PLATE" to "Plate" if I see such a need later (perhaps using find and replace can do).

I have now done the all but I cannot add a logo graphic (if I see a need later) to these name plates!

This is where I am not able to get an answer, if there is indeed a method to do things like referenced "Objects". Change the Object. All instances change.

PS: I ever tried a hack, by putting the text box inside another box and grouping them. So when I pluck from master (lift off) I just get the Group. I believed that since I am not touching the original "text" object in the process InDesign will keep the link intact and change in text on master will reflect changes to the pages. it did not work.

• 4. Re: Using "Objects" like Illustrator in InDesign. Is there a modular way to use instances?
                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I meant Content Collector and Collect Dropper Tool, as both are together with the Conveyor Ribbon the Content Tools.

No content should be without style, use styles for everything, this enables you to make global changes. Use Styles!

Changing a word from CAPS to no caps should not be done via Find and Replace, it should be done either with Paragraph or Character Style. Use Styles!

Referenced objects can be afforded with linked content with the content tools. Link them to the original item. Change the item, it will change all instances.