3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2014 3:22 PM by gener7

Removing layers from a file with too much layers to be opened

Maisey

Hello!

I get the message: "There was a problem reading the layer data. Read the composite data instead?"

I am pretty sure I've managed to exceed the maximum number of layers (8000+?). Therefore I'm prompted the question above, resulting in a flattened image. So my question is; is there a way for me to manually remove some layers without opening the file in photoshop (a text editor perhaps?)

(BTW, one really shouldn't be able to save a file like this or atleast be warned about it)

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Removing layers from a file with too much layers to be opened
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

How confident are you that the number of Layers is the reason for the problem?

There could be other issues.

(BTW, one really shouldn't be able to save a file like this or atleast be warned about it)

I have encountered a similar situation where a file could be saved as psd but not reopened – the file itself conformed to the 30.000px restriction but a contained Layer exceeded it.

The file could be opened in Gimp, though, if I remember correctly.

• 2. Re: Removing layers from a file with too much layers to be opened
            Maisey Level 1

How confident are you that the number of Layers is the reason for the problem?

There could be other issues.

I recall not being able to create more layers using the "new layer" command, but was able to duplicate layers. I had no clue about there being a hidden limit for layers so I assumed this was just some temporary bug that would be resolved if i restarted the program.

There might be other issues causing this, but if there is a way to remove layers without opening the file I would be able to determine if it is. I probably had around 8000+ layers. I've tried numersous "repair"-tools without success.

• 3. Re: Removing layers from a file with too much layers to be opened
              gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Chris Cox (senior Photoshop programmer) affirms 8000 layer limit.  Re: maximum number of layers in PS CS5?

Plan B would be recovery from backup. (Backup should be Plan A especially with complex projects that can go wrong).

If you have Windows, you could use the free utility "Shadow Explorer to fetch the most recent version that opened.

ShadowExplorer.com - About

If Mac, try and enter Time Machine. It opens back to a day or two without an external drive.

PSD also has a 2 GB limit and getting close to that can cause it not to re-open. PSB or Tiff might be better.

Gene