3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2015 2:41 AM by BigEnd

Table jump to next page

eric2013

I am using ID CC and always have this strange and annoying behavior with tables. If there is a table which fit nicely and entirely within one page (either in the middle or the bottom), whenever, I edit text that is in front of the table (no matter how far the text is from the table), the table jumps to the beginning of the next page, leaving behind an empty space. If I do some adjustment to the table (such as adjust the height of a row), the table will go back to its original place. This is happening all the time. Anyone has the same problem and is there a fix for it?

Thank you. 

• 1. Re: Table jump to next page
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

What are the keep setting of the paragraph where you insert the table?

Sometimes it might help to insert the table into a single text frame, not part of the story, so it is handled like an image with text wrap.

• 2. Re: Table jump to next page
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Willi Adelberger wrote:

[..] Sometimes it might help to insert the table into a single text frame, not part of the story, so it is handled like an image with text wrap.

Of course, but with regular in-line tables there is no reason at all for this erratic behavior. I've had this for ever with my trusty old CS4 (going as far as "going wrong" when exporting for Print -- fortunately the printer warned me 'something was wrong'). There simply is no reason for InDesign to re-format these pages; and even if there is, there is no reason to suddenly move entire tables to the next page.

'Good' to hear the problem persists in CC, 3 or 4 versions -- depending on how you count -- later than what I am still using. It kind of proves my point not immediately updating to every new version in between was a pretty good decision.

Usually forcing a re-compose (hold on while I look up the hotkey..) -- "Recompose all stories --- Default: Ctrl+Alt+/" -- makes ID consider the formatting again, and gets it right second time. That, however, is no guarantee, as a next edit may mess it up again.

• 3. Re: Table jump to next page
              BigEnd

I am also getting this behavior occasionally (ID CC2015).  It tends to happen when the table is on a page that also contains footnotes.  When I do any editing of the table it jumps to the next page.  The solution I've come up with is to temporarily change the height of the frame on the page that the table is supposed to be on. This causes it to revert to its correct position and the page frame can be returned to its previous height.  But any further adjustment of the table makes it jump again.  Quite annoying as it only happens with some tables and not others.