9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2014 2:37 AM by KEANNITH

I am thinking of getting Photo (Premiere) elements 13

KEANNITH

I am thinking of getting Photo elements 13 but can it capture old Vhs format and if so how?

• 1. Re: I am thinking of getting Photo elements 13
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You mean Premiere Elements (for video). Photoshop Elements is for photos.

No, you can not capture VHS with Premiere Elements 13.

• 2. Re: I am thinking of getting Photo elements 13
            KEANNITH Level 1

Thanks was hoping to use Pinnacle Dazzle but presume it is a software issue.  regret I know very  little about computer technology and been used to my old Pinnacle Studio 9

• 3. Re: I am thinking of getting Photo elements 13
              Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Software (version 13 doesn't support capture) and hardware ( version 12 and earlier only captures Firewire, not USB).

• 4. Re: I am thinking of getting Photo elements 13
                KEANNITH Level 1

Wow that's a blow!

As I said I am not a techie and assumed as with Studio 9, it came complete with a capture device included, as I simply loaded from the capture panel shown on the screen.

How do you capture video form my JVC camcorder (AVCHD) onto Permiere Elements 13?

I am very grateful for your guidance.  Any help would be appreciated.

• 5. Re: I am thinking of getting Photo elements 13
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1 - your computer needs a Firewire port

2 - you need a converter to go between your external device (camera or vhs) and your computer

2a such as http://www.grassvalley.com/products/converters

3 - you then need a program to do the actual capture, which is not version 13 per Peru Bob

3a some alternative software

I have NOT used either, but many say to try these for SD capture http://windv.mourek.cz/ or http://www.exsate.com/products/dvcapture/

or

I have NOT used it, but many say to try this for HDV capture

-archived at http://www.videohelp.com/tools/HDVSplit

-Click the 1st link under "Download sites:" for the latest version

• 6. Re: I am thinking of getting Photo (Premiere) elements 13
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

KEANNNITH

If you are interested, a while back a representative from Adobe "PRE_help" posted in this forum a link to an Adobe document detailing workarounds for features that Adobe removed from version 13. This is a user to user forum. So, that is not the usual. The document is titled "Adobe Premiere Elements Help/Removed Features And Unsupported File Formats/Adobe Premiere Elements 13". Topics in the document include

• Alternative Way to Capture DV
                    • Alternative Way to Capture HDV
                    • MacOS HDV/DV/Webcam Capture

Please review and determine if any of the above helps you in your particular video situation.

If you decide the above is a viable possibility for you, definitely go the free 30 day tryout route from Adobe before any purchase.

ATR

• 7. Re: I am thinking of getting Photo elements 13
                      KEANNITH Level 1

Hi everyone,

What can I say but thanks for all the info. 

Sadly, you are talking to someone in their 70's who does not have a clue about a lot of what is being said, firewire, converters etc..  I shall have to do some homework on what has been suggested.

One final question.  When i get the adobe on Christmas morning from santa can i just put the sd card from the camera into the pc or do i connect it with the cable supplied with the camera?   Will it download onto the pc from either of those into a folder (videos) where i can then take it into the editing suite?  Or is that to simple.

Thanks guys for all your help.

• 8. Re: I am thinking of getting Photo elements 13
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

KEANNITH

Once you get into action with Photoshop Elements 13 (photo editing) and Premiere Elements 13 (video editing) and Elements Organizer 13 (which comes with them), do not get overwhelmed....one step at a time with some homework (exploration and experimentation) and some help from your friends here and you will be producing photo and video family treasures sooner than you think.

As for transferring your photos and videos from the camera....lots of ways

1. If you computer has a SD Memory Slot, insert the SD Memory Card from the camera into this slot. The SD Memory Card in the slot presents as a drive in your computer. Right click the drive to open it, and then copy and paste your files into a new folder on the computer location of your choice. Then use Premiere Elements Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets to get files from that saved folder into your Premiere Elements (video) project.

2. There are other ways for you to try later...

a. For videos on the card.....Premiere Elements Add Media/Videos from Flip or Camera/Video Importer with its Source pointed at the SD Memory Card drive.

b. For photos onthe card.....Premiere Elements Add Media/Photos from Camera and Devices/Adobe Premiere Elements - Photo Downloader/and point Source at the SD Memory Card drive.

If you are interested in more information about Premiere Elements DV and HDV Capture as it existed before 13

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Capture video

Please let us know if you need clarification on any of the above. We will go at whatever pace works for you.

ATR

• 9. Re: I am thinking of getting Photo elements 13
                          KEANNITH Level 1

Thanks so much for your help and reassurance that I will master it, eventually.

I shall have to do some research on what you have all given me and await Santa's arrival on the 25th.

Thanks once again all of you who have contributed to my questions, it has been much appreciated and if there is anything else you may feel will help please let me know.

Have a good holiday season wherever you are.

Grandad