5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2014 10:54 AM by Szalam

AE CC Error: "unable to allocate memory"

paiging911

Continually get this error: "unable to allocate memory. Decrease the memory requirements for the rendering of this frame, or install more ram."

I have been working on the same AE project-- 30mb project mostly full of animated shape layers. While working in this project this last week I keep getting the same error on both my macbook pro (8gb ram) and my imac desktop (16 gb ram) which makes me believe the issue is not my computer(s). 

I initially got the error using AE CC version 13.0.2. After reading different forums someone suggested downloading the updated 13.1 version which fixed some bugs. I did that on my macbook pro and within minutes of working still got the same error.

Then I down-saved the AE project to CS6, started working on it again in CS6 and quickly received the same error.

I've also cleaned out my cache folders, but still nothing.

I have spent hours investigating this issue and am at a complete loss on what to do. Super frustrating when working on a tight deadline!!

Can anyone help?!!

• 1. Re: AE CC Error: "unable to allocate memory"
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

What is the state of the Reduce Cache Size When System Is Low On Memory preference? That preference exists to work around a problem with memory management in Mac OS.

• 2. Re: AE CC Error: "unable to allocate memory"
            paiging911 Level 1

I recently selected that preference then tried working on the project only to have the same error pop up a couple minutes later...

• 3. Re: AE CC Error: "unable to allocate memory"
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What effects are present in your comp besides just shape layers?
              Be more specific about the contents of your shape layers too. Lots of repeaters? Large shapes? Any precomps? If so, what size are they?

What are the exact specs of both machines? Version of OS?

• 4. Re: AE CC Error: "unable to allocate memory"
                paiging911 Level 1

The project contains a lot of stuff:

-Shape layers with repeaters to create animated sprites and animated backgrounds

-created wiggly text using precomped textures with fractal noise, displacement maps and posterize time effects applied. Here is the tutorial I recreated: Jittery Type After Effects Tutorial - YouTube

-imported mini AE projects of different animated objects that I used in past projects: book with pages flipping, dollar bills flipping in stack, coins stacking up, box unfolding.

-More effects used- fill, drop shadow, bunch of track mattes, turbulent displacement, hue/saturation, exposure, cc bender- on flipping pages in book,

-Lots of precomps mostly 1920 x 1080 some bigger like 1920 x 3000

Would it be possible or helpful if I just sent my project and files for you to inspect?

iMac (2011)

Processor- 3.4 GHZ Intel Core i7

Memory- 16 GB

Graphics- AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB

Software- OS X 10.9.5

MacBook Pro 17" (2012)

Processor- (don't have laptop with me so unsure)

Memory- 8 GB

Software- OS X 10.9.2

• 5. Re: AE CC Error: "unable to allocate memory"
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It sounds like you're using a lot of layers and effects that take up a lot of memory and both of your computers have a small amount of memory.

16 GB, as you've discovered, is not much for AE. (It's better than 8 though!)

I would suggest finding some of your big memory hogs (precomps containing large layers, for example) and prerender them.