2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2015 11:26 AM by sheilsoft

Fujifilm X100T poor quality RAW conversion?

hakkalugi

I've been experiencing what appears to be poor quality RAW image conversion from the new Fujifilm X100T camera that is now supported by Lightroom 5.7.

It appears that Lightroom may be "honoring" the Chromatic Aberration correction that the camera itself writes to the EXIF files. This causes images with high contrast areas to appear very blurry or almost like they've had a filter applied to make them appear hand drawn. It may also be that the camera itself isn't focusing properly, but my tests confirm that the camera can focus just fine.

I've collected a few examples and additional details here:

http://bigempty.com/projects/2014/fujix100t/

Generally speaking I don't apply any in-camera sharpening, noise reduction, or other corrections as I prefer to work with the RAW file in Lightroom. The examples linked above do not apply any post-capture noise reduction, sharpening, chromatic aberration correction, or any other post-capture edits.

Has anyone else experienced this with the Fuji X100T? Is this typical of the X100 series image quality, or with Lightroom's processing of those RAW images?

• 1. Re: Fujifilm X100T poor quality RAW conversion?
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Besides white-balance, Adobe software generally ignores what camera settings you use.  The poor quality is just the best Adobe has been able to do with unique XTrans photosite color layout.   Adobe software is apparently optimized to the common RGBG photosite layout.

• 2. Re: Fujifilm X100T poor quality RAW conversion?
            sheilsoft

As you've stated, the excellent Fujifilm X100t takes superb images, but is served very poorly by Lightroom, whose conversion of Xtrans RAF raw files is truly awful. I find this annoying in the extreme, particularly when LR does such a perfect job of my Nikon raw files.

Is Adobe just hoping people won't notice, or can we expect to see some improvement for a camera which is generally considered best in class?

The good news for X100 series users is that excellent results can be had from Picturecode's Photo Ninja software, (better than Fuji's own software), which can be used as a standalone program, or as a Lightroom/Photoshop plugin. Good news perhaps, but surely some red faces from the Adobe LR development team, that they can't replicate the quality conversion offered by other 'lesser' companies!

This needs some attention in 2016 IMHO.

Rgds,

Howard Dickson