1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 1, 2014 10:35 AM by Jao vdL

soft proofing and print module

KeeganS

Hi,

I have a question on using soft proofing and the print module to make prints at home.

I just started using my new photo printer so I have calibrated my monitor and  have been learning about soft proofing and the print module.

When going through soft proofing I use the "show ink on paper" mode, which turns my photo a little muddy.  I then make proper adjustments to the proof copy.

My question is in the print module there are brightness and contrast adjustments you can make.  Are these designed to be used in addition to soft proofing or instead of?  I know everything should be done to taste, but I am wondering more from a software design perspective.   If I soft proof and then make the proper exposure adjustments to the proof copy is the expectation that I should still be making brightness adjustments in the print module?

Does soft proofing compensate for a backlit screen vs. a front lit photo -- is that what the brightness adjustment would be used for?

Thanks,

Scott

• 1. Re: soft proofing and print module
          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My question is in the print module there are brightness and contrast adjustments you can make.  Are these designed to be used in addition to soft proofing or instead of?  I know everything should be done to taste, but I am wondering more from a software design perspective.   If I soft proof and then make the proper exposure adjustments to the proof copy is the expectation that I should still be making brightness adjustments in the print module?

If everything is well behaved (i.e. your printer profiles are good and you have a good print viewing environment) you should not have to touch these buttons. They are really a last resort if the profiles are simply not good and everything prints too dark (very common). If you soft proof and everything is well behaved you should get very good results.