4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2014 11:27 AM by Merlin Lien

Imports from memory cards

Merlin Lien Level 1

When importing photos to LR for the first time that are not on my computer hard drive, from a memory card - do I select 'make a second copy' to send to my hard drive?

• 1. Re: Imports from memory cards
          dj_paige Level 9

You select Copy at the top of the Import dialogbox.

Make a second copy is optional, its a form of making a backup of your photo, now you will have two copies of the photo (not counting the one on the camera card). You should ALWAYS have some form of backup of your photos, so you can use this method in Lightroom, or perform the backup some other way via third party software. You should also make regular backups of your catalog file.

• 2. Re: Imports from memory cards
            Merlin Lien Level 1

Hi,  Thanks for this, do know to make back-ups as routine.   What I need to

know is when importing from a memory card onto LR - as I understand it, LR

has to be able to find the photos on my hard drive, or is this incorrect?

If I only import to LR with no copies except back ups after developing

photos, which may then be on an external hard drive - will LR work as it

should?

Thanks

Mercia

• 3. Re: Imports from memory cards
              dj_paige Level 9

Lightroom does have to be able to find your photo on the hard drive.

So

If I only import to LR with no copies except back ups after developing

This is impossible, you have to make a copy from the camera card.

Nor is it a good idea to delete photos after you edit them; once you import the photos, you should not delete them from either Lightroom or from the hard disk. You need the original on one disk and a backup on another disk, permanently.

• 4. Re: Imports from memory cards
                Merlin Lien Level 1

Thanks.   Will do.