2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2008 7:14 AM by peterent

How to handle the F5 browser refresh

ParomitaDey15
      Hi All,

This may be a very silly question, but I am stuck on this and can not find a suitable solution, please advise.

I have an application where the first screen is a login screen, when a user logs in he is redirected to a diferent view based on the users login permissions etc. The problem is whenever we hit the F5 browser button the wrapper file is refreshed and the embeddd swf (flex app) is reloaded reinitializing all the application variables etc. This takes the screen view back to the login screen although the user is logged.
      How can I handle this?
      I tried using shared objects but this would meen storing every value in shared object. Is there any easier way out? Any configuration change etc.

Please help.

Regards,
      Paromita
        • 1. How to handle the F5 browser refresh
          Karl_Sigiscar_1971 Level 3
          You can handle security and authentication in your J2EE server with the web.xml configuration file under the exploded WAR directory \flex.war\WEB-INF if you use Flex Data Services, LiveCycle Data Services ES or Blaze DS.

You specify what the login and error pages are. When you try and access the Flex wrapper in the browser, you will be redirected to the login page if you are not already logged in. If you are already logged in, there will be no redirection.

Here is a sample <login-config> node in web.xml:

<login-config>
          <auth-method>FORM</auth-method>
          <form-login-config>
          <form-login-page>/jblogin.jsp</form-login-page>
          <form-error-page>/jblogin-error.jsp</form-error-page>
          </form-login-config>
          </login-config>
          • 2. Re: How to handle the F5 browser refresh
            peterent Level 2
            You could also look into "deep linking" - a new feature in Flex 3. This would enable you to restore your application back to a previous point.You'd have to periodically save the user's location in a SharedObject so that when the app has restarted you can open the SharedObject and retrieve the last location.

This would fall squarely in the "advanced Flex" category, so please read all the docs, create some proof-of-concept applications, etc. before revising your application.