6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2014 4:43 PM by SquareEyz

What Do You think of My Feature Requests?

JimmyMcV Level 1

Hi, I submitted the following Feature Requests to the Premiere CC feature requests form.

I think Premiere CC keeps improving but there are some things that really annoy me.   And below are some of my requests.   I'd love to know if any of these requests are in error - if I'm actually missing something. 

Thanks for checking these out!

*******Enhancement / FMR*********

Brief title for your desired feature:

AUTO-PATCHING

How would you like the feature to work?

When I select a Track Target - such as V1 Target -  the Source patch should follow along. For example, if I select V1, then the V1 Source should automatically move next to V1

Why is this feature important to you?

This saves time and saves an extra, unnecessary step of having to move the Source patch.

This makes editing faster and more intuitive.

_________

Increase/Decrease Volume using Keyboard for MULTIPLE CLIPS at once (between In and Out)

1. Set in and out in the Timeline

2. Make sure Audio Targets are set for the tracks you want to affect

3.  Press your keyboard shortcuts for increasing or decreasing volume

Result: All Audio volumes between In and Out go up or down by the same amount.

This saves a lot of time. Currently, I have to copy and paste Volume attributes and that wastes time and is not as intuitive.

____

Select Nearest Edit Keyboard Commands Should Select All Nearest Edits on All TARGETED TRACKS, even if staggered

1. Position Playhead near the edits you want selected (for Trim)

1B: Make sure the Track Targets for the tracks you want to affect are highlighted

2. Press the Keyboard Shortcut for Select Nearest Edit…

Result: Even if the edit points don't all line up on the same frame, Premiere should select (with a Roller, etc) ALL edit points NEAREST to the playhead on Tracks which have their Target buttons selected.

How it works now:  Now Premiere only select those edit points that line up together the same frame.

How Premiere currently works wastes a lot of time. It currently requires the editor to manually click and add other edit selections.

Currently, Premiere does not actually select all the edit points on SELECTED TRACKS.

_____

REMOVE EFFECT - ALLOW US TO CHOOSE WHICH EFFECTS

1. Highlight one or more Clips to select them.

2.  Press the Remove Effects Keyboard Shortcut

What should happen: Premiere should present you with a window that allows you to check the effects you want to remove or uncheck the effects you don't want to remove.

This is very important because often I have a remove just one effect on a large group of effects.  I don't have the time - it would take forever - to go through each individual clip and eliminate that particular effect in the Effect Controls panel.

___

A Paste Insert should move the IN/OUT marks down the Timeline, just like the clips

1. Set an In an Out point somewhere in the timeline.

2  In the timeline, after copying some material,  PASTE INSERT, the clips in front of a whole bunch of other clips (also earlier than the In/Out marks)

What Should Happen:

Material AND In/Out marks should shift to the right to maintain sync.

What currently happens:

Premiere correctly shifts the Clips that follow the pasted material, Down the Timeline, to maintain sync.  However, Premiere keeps the In/Out Marks where they are.

I often copy  material that's between In/Out marks and then go earlier in the Timeline and paste Insert that material. But when I jump back to the In point (Go to In) the In/Out marks haven't move and so I have to find my place in the material all over again.

It shouldn't work this way. It wastes time. And other NLEs don't do it this way. They shift the In/Out marks.

• 1. Re: What Do You think of My Feature Requests?
          SquareEyz Level 1

Nice requests. Just trying to be helpful here:

Re REMOVE EFFECT - ALLOW US TO CHOOSE WHICH EFFECTS

I agree - this could be quite useful. However, It sounds like using adjustment layers may be helpful for your workflow also?

Re: Increase/Decrease Volume using Keyboard for MULTIPLE CLIPS at once (between In and Out)

I've stopped using volume altogether now, and instead use 'Gain' mapped to "g" key in premiere keyboard layout. SUPER useful, for all the reasons you describe. I've never used I/O marks, but you can make big selections of clips, or a whole track's. Volume controls in Premiere, as far as I can tell, caps at +6DB for some reason. I routinely have to go much higher than that. also there is a very intelligent gain options screen that lets you bump your selected clips relatively by +/- DB levels; or set absolute values; OR set normalization targets. I LOVE IT, and its all I use now.

It seems to me that the audio component of Premiere if far more sophisticated than any other NLE I've used  [ Avid MC, FCP...]. My only caveat is that volume and gain are not integrated across all methodologies. For example, you can have a volume adjustment on the clip, the track, and gain adjustments on the clip all operating independently- its alot to keep track of on projects that get passed back and forth between different editors with different methods!

• 2. Re: What Do You think of My Feature Requests?
            JimmyMcV Level 1

Thanks for these tips.

Wow - I didn't realize you could do Adjustment Layers in here. I'll have to try that out!

As for GAIN - I had no knowledge of that either.  I'll try that out.

Thanks again!

• 3. Re: What Do You think of My Feature Requests?
              shooternz Level 6

I set up my audio tracks ( checker boarded)  so that I can use the Audio Mixer for all levels and gains.

Occasionally  I will do something at clip level.

• 4. Re: What Do You think of My Feature Requests?
                SquareEyz Level 1

Checker waaa?  that sounds sweet- and I have no idea what that means !
                I came from photography, not sound engineering... Can you describe that a little, as it sounds quite useful.
                Screen grabs even? THANKS shootemz

• 5. Re: What Do You think of My Feature Requests?
                  RobSher1 Level 1

I believe you can change the maximum audio gain in Preferences -> Audio -> Large Volume Adjustment: at the bottom of the window in PR 8.1. I just found this myself a few weeks ago.

• 6. Re: What Do You think of My Feature Requests?
                    SquareEyz Level 1

Sorry -guess I should have googled before I replied :]. Curiosity go the better of me, and I poked around.

Screen Shot 2014-12-01 at 4.42.05 PM.png

ah-ha, yes. I actually track my audio logically based on interview/ visuals/ SFX/ Music, but I still find I have to push my levels up passed where the track levels will let me.