5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2014 4:43 AM by vinny38

How to use interactive link so it goes to the top of the next page?

Studly

I'm trying to learn how to add interactive links in ID CS6. One type of link is causing me problems, though. I have a publication where at the end of an article, at the bottom of the page, it says "Continued on next page" and I want it so when they see the PDF version and click on those words, it goes to the top of the next page where the article continues. What's the best way to do this?

I don't want to set it in the hyperlinks destination to "Go to page X"  because I will be later be adding ad pages to the pub, and I don't want to go through and change all those links to a certain page when all the page numbers change. I'd like to use the Next Page setting that you can use when you create a button, but I can't get that to work properly. (And when I export to PDF I do have it set to show interactive links.) You can use the create button feature on a text frame, correct?

I don't want to set a text anchor at the top of the next page, because then when the articles get edited, the text will reflow and could move down or up in the article.

So is there a way to set these continuation links so they automatically go to the Next Page, without specifying a certain page number? And then when it goes to the next page, is there a way to get the zoom to go to the top of the next page, fitting the full width of the page?

Thanks much for your help!

• 1. Re: How to use interactive link so it goes to the top of the next page?
          vinny38 Level 4

I don't want to set it in the hyperlinks destination to "Go to page X"  because I will be later be adding ad pages to the pub, and I don't want to go through and change all those links to a certain page when all the page numbers change!

No problem: hyperlink destination will be updated automatically.

And then when it goes to the next page, is there a way to get the zoom to go to the top of the next page, fitting the full width of the page?

You just have to set up "Full width" in your hyperlink options. Please note it can be disturbing for your reader to force a zoom. Why not use "inherit zoom"?

• 2. Re: How to use interactive link so it goes to the top of the next page?
            Studly Level 1

Thanks much for the tips, vinny! Didn't know the page #s would be updated automatically.

I tried "inherit zoom" as a setting for that continuation. However, then when I open the PDF in Acrobat Pro, and click on the link when viewing zoom at page width, it takes me to the next page and zooms into 6400%. So that setting didn't work properly for me. And when I set that link to zoom to "full width," it does that but it doesn't take me to the top of the page. For instance, if I'm zoomed in on the bottom of the page that has the continuation link, and then I click on it, it takes me to the next page but it zooms in on the same spot that I was on the previous page -- which is the bottom of the page. So neither zoom option has allowed me to set it to go to the top of the next page. Any ideas on how to fix that?

• 3. Re: How to use interactive link so it goes to the top of the next page?
              vinny38 Level 4

You're right, hyperlinks "go to page" don't link to top of page, strangely enough.

So I suggest you use anchor link.

I understand you think your text may reflow, but you don't have to place your destination anchor into your text.

It can be placed on a white space, in a new text frame placed at the very top of the destination page.

• 4. Re: How to use interactive link so it goes to the top of the next page?
                Studly Level 1

Good tip ... thanks! Do you need actual text to highlight and anchor to, or can you just add an empty text frame and anchor to that? Or maybe if you need actual text, I could just use a text frame with a space in it?

• 5. Re: How to use interactive link so it goes to the top of the next page?
                  vinny38 Level 4

Yes, you can just add an "empty" text frame and anchor it.

Not so empty, because you need at least one character to use anchor, but it can be a white space.