8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2014 4:55 AM by vinny38

DataMerge-AutoSizing

Sajid Attar Level 1

Hello everybody

need help, I am making some card design in which there are different names and those name are in a flash light effect.

I will be making this in DataMerge, I want the flash light should increase or decrease as per the name langth, is it possible?

Thanks

SajidAttar

below is for reference

SearLight.jpg

• 1. Re: DataMerge-AutoSizing
          vinny38 Level 4

Hi there.

This is tricky...

It's not difficult to make an adjustable text frame, using "Persistent text frame fitting options".

You can create a text frame using these options, along with some gradient effects.

Unfortunately, indesign effects are really restrictive and I don't think it's possible to recreate your Searchlight effect using only indesign effects.

On the other hand, creating a custom object frame won't allow you to use text frame fitting options. These would by applied only on a regular rectangular frame...

I wish it could be possible to apply a background image to a text frame, but again... not possible.

So... I don't have the solution for your problem really.

If you aren't too fussy about rendering the perfect effect, here's a trick:

Create an object style for your text frame (or just apply those settings to your Master text frame)

Set it up this way:

• White background
          • Paragraph style : refer to your paragraph style
          • Put some inside margin and center
          • Text frame fitting options : apply automatic fitting width + length. Make sure "no line break" is checked. (important!)
          • Apply gradient feather effect to the fill.

Then place your lamp design on a new top layer, along with two blocks with basic feather applied. Apply same color than background.

Place everything correctly and...

Here's the result: definitely not perfect, but might do the trick if you aren't fussy...

Probably improvement can be made also, ideas from community are welcome...

searchlight.jpg

• 2. Re: DataMerge-AutoSizing
            Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

With Indesign CS 6 or higher, you can create an autosize text frame that adjusts to the amount of text within frame.

This text frame can be non-rectangular, with a curved edge, like the one in your capture. For the effect, you can apply a basic feather on frame for soft edge, along with gradient feather. To limit text to one line, I would suggest using "Non-Break" text attribute.

This can all be done with data merge, with end result looking very much like your sample.

• 3. Re: DataMerge-AutoSizing
              Sajid Attar Level 1

Thanks Smith

really appreciate that you have given so detailed solution, I will definitely try this.

• 4. Re: DataMerge-AutoSizing
                Sajid Attar Level 1

I am using ID CS5 and I can't see the option like auto fitting for text frame

• 5. Re: DataMerge-AutoSizing
                  Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Sajid,

Quoting from Jeffrey above, "With Indesign CS 6 or higher, you can create an autosize text frame that adjusts to the amount of text within frame."

You'll need to upgrade to get that feature.

• 6. Re: DataMerge-AutoSizing
                    Sajid Attar Level 1

Yes that's correct, thanks Steve.

• 7. Re: DataMerge-AutoSizing
                      vinny38 Level 4

Jeffrey_Smith wrote:

This text frame can be non-rectangular, with a curved edge, like the one in your capture....

Unfortunately, this is only theoretically true.

Reality shows that unexpected results are most likely to occur...

• 8. Re: DataMerge-AutoSizing
                        Colin Flashman Adobe Community Professional

I 100% agree with Jeffrey's thinking on this one. Was able to knock up something quickly and it matches the brief without faulting. Files can be found at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55743036/variable%20torch%20Folder.zip 

• 9. Re: DataMerge-AutoSizing
                          vinny38 Level 4

cdflash wrote:

I 100% agree with Jeffrey's thinking on this one. Was able to knock up something quickly and it matches the brief without faulting. Files can be found at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55743036/variable%20torch%20Folder.zip

Fair enough!

I think I understand better what went wrong with my own tests. (CS6)

Checking "No line breaks" option IN the text fitting window was causing bad fitting results (huge frames...)

The good way to avoid line breaking was indeed to set it from the Character panel menu...