5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2014 6:24 AM by YFR888

File names

YFR888

Am reading a book by Martin Evening called "The Adobe PHOTOSHOP LIGHTROOM 5 BOOK". He talks about the photos being stored in a file (a flow chart refers to it as Master files) where all the originals are stored. Later he references the Catalog file and says to be careful in that it might grow to be in excess of 100GB. Also cautions not to delete the original files since Lightroom only "references" them doesn't actually store them.

Has he used the wrong term/file name? If the original files are stored in a Master file, that might get huge. If only the reference data is stored in the Catalog file it should remain relatively small. I just downloaded from Aperture into Lightroom (who knows if I did it right?) and it created a "Lightroom Masters" file with 15.93GB and a "Lightroom 5 Catalog" file with 12.9MB.

Thanks for any help.

YFR888

• 1. Re: File names
          DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

Just to clarify Lightroom does not store your original files, when you import "reference" files to the Lightroom Cataolg you decide where the files will be located on your computer. Internal HDD, External HDD or even a network drive.

When you import "reference" files in the Catalog Lightroom stores information about its location and any other work you do with the file automatically in the Catalog File. Lightroom also creates a folder alongside the Catalog file which has the same name with an extension .lrdata (lightroom data) preview files created by Lightroom for all the imported files are stored there. Dependent on the size you choose the previews file can become quite large. The Catalog and previews cannot be located on a network drive they must be on a drive physically connected to the computer.

Lightroom Import process allows four options when importing files. In the left panel of the import dialog you choose where the files are being imported from and in the right panel you choose where the original files will be located.

1. Copy as DNG : this option will, Convert to DNG in a new location and add to the Catalog. (e.g. Use as with the Copy option but convert to DNG in the process.)

2. Copy: this option will, Copy Photos to a new location and add to the Catalog. (e.g. Use to copy Photos from a Card Reader to your internal HDD or external HDD.)

3. Move: this option will, Move Photos to a new location and add to the Catalog. (e.g. Use to move the photos from internal HDD to external HDD.)

4. Add: this option will, Add Photos to Catalog without moving them. (e.g. use if the you wish the photos to remain where they are located.)

In all cases the Master Image files will reside where you decide.

See screen capture.Import dialog.jpg

• 2. Re: File names
            dj_paige Level 9

He talks about the photos being stored in a file (a flow chart refers to it as Master files) where all the originals are stored. Later he references the Catalog file and says to be careful in that it might grow to be in excess of 100GB.

Photos are stored in folders in your operating system, not in a file.

I don't understand why he would say the catalog file might grow to be over 100GB and so you should be careful. There's no size limit for catalog files, other than the size of the disk itself.

• 3. Re: File names
              YFR888 Level 1

Thanks for the info. Very helpful. I think I understood the first part of your response but do have one further question there. Are the previews there, in the ".lrdata" file, only during the IMPORT process or do they remain permanently? Is the other megadata info I added at import, e.g copyright stuff, stored here?

The second part seemed straightforward but brought up a question also. Reading another book on Lightroom by Scott Kelby. He says to create a file to hold all your originals which he calls "My Lightroom Photos" (MLP) (I noticed that Lightroom created for me a file called "Lightroom Masters where it stored all my former Aperture photos). His advice was to import all files yourself (verses letting Lightroom do it) into that file (MLP) e.g. when importing files from say an SD card just drag them into your "MLP" folder and then have Lightroom import them from there into Lightroom (which I now understand to mean to just add their address into the Catalog file). Would that mean I should use "Add"  since I don't need another copy someplace and want them to reside permanently in (MLP).  If I used COPY I would get their link data into Catalog but also make a second copy which I don't think I need.   Right or do I misunderstand completely?

• 4. Re: File names
                dj_paige Level 9

Are the previews there, in the ".lrdata" file, only during the IMPORT process or do they remain permanently? Is the other megadata info I added at import, e.g copyright stuff, stored here?

Previews are stored in the .lrdata folder. There are options in Lightroom that let you decide how long the previews are to remain. All metadata is stored in the Lightroom catalog file.

Part of the problem here is the incorrect usage of the word "file".

He says to create a file to hold all your originals which he calls "My Lightroom Photos"

He probably says you want to create a folder to hold your originals.

His advice was to import all files yourself (verses letting Lightroom do it) into that file (MLP) e.g. when importing files from say an SD card just drag them into your "MLP" folder and then have Lightroom import them from there into Lightroom (which I now understand to mean to just add their address into the Catalog file).

If that's his advice, then I think this is just another piece of bad advice from Kelby on organizing (I have complained about poor advice from Kelby on this subject in the past, I think you ought to ignore Kelby's advice on organizing). How exactly you do the import depends on how you want your files stored, and there are many ways to get this done. Dragging photos from the SD card to your MLP folder seems to me to be an extra step, I never do that, my photos wind up where I want them to be because I specify  where the photos are supposed to go in the Import dialog box, and so I get the job done with less work than you would have if you dragged the photos from the SD card.

I also don't understand the distinction "import all files yourself (verses letting Lightroom do it)". As far as I know, any importing must be done by the software named Lightroom. You cannot import photos into Lightroom "yourself".

Would that mean I should use "Add"  since I don't need another copy someplace and want them to reside permanently in (MLP).  If I used COPY I would get their link data into Catalog but also make a second copy which I don't think I need.   Right or do I misunderstand completely?

Yes, that's correct but as I said, you don't have to do it this way.

• 5. Re: File names
                  YFR888 Level 1

Good information and food for thought. You were correct in the file verses folder thing. I put in the wrong term. I fuss and fume about these types of books when they use terms either too loosely or just plain incorrectly and then I went and did the same thing. I am trying to make the transition from film to digital and it has been (is?) a slow and painful journey.

Re your first post regarding the 100MG storage: I don't think he meant the limit of Lightroom but of your computers HD or your external HD.