0 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2014 5:48 AM by billyphoto

PP 2014 8.1.0 When I "Save As" my project, quit and close, the new project freezes on launching

billyphoto Level 1

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)

4 GHz Intel Core i7

32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB

Mac OS Yosemite 10.10.1 (14B25)

PP 2014 8.1.0

Blackmagic 4K media working in 4K sequences.

In my current project, I've been experiencing very strange crashes upon launching PP. Before ending my work for the day, I usually save my current project manually, and then do a "Save As" with tomorrow's date at the end, (projectname_2014-12-02) so I have a fresh copy to begin the next day and still have yesterday's as a backup. I then quit PP as normal. No issues. In other words, it closes just fine without any crashing or odd behavior.

In the last week, a rather annoying issue has presented itself. Once in a while, that new project that I created with Save As, will not open. I opens to the point when I can see my bins and my timeline, but as I would expect it to begin propagating the timeline with media, I get the spinning beach ball. I can wait for hours, and the project never loads. I can go back to yesterdays project and open it just fine, but any project saved with Save As, very often seems to be corrupted.

Except, that I can open it up fine on another machine. So it's not really corrupted. And it doesn't happen every time. Just most of the time in the last week or two.

I've done the following troubleshooting several times. Restarted the computer. Repair disk permissions. Launch PP with the option key to clear preferences. Cleaned the media database. Tried launching the project with all media offline. Uninstalled and reinstalled PP. Booted from USB OS install drive and repaired permissions, repaired HD, and even reinstalled the OS (not a clean install, just over the top of the previous one).

Once a Save As project won't open, it's done and I have to go back to yesterday's project.

Now here's where it gets really weird. If I create a new project, and import one of the "won't open" projects, not just a sequence, but the whole project, it's fine. Which of course isn't entirely surprising.

What *is* surprising is that after I save and close that new project with the old imported project in it, I can now go back and open all of the projects that would freeze on opening just minutes earlier.

Everything is right as rain again. I'm glad I have a work around, but it's a little unnerving and random, not to mention time lost troubleshooting this bizarre one.

Anyone else had any weird issues like this? Thanks for any thoughts.