7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2014 8:18 AM by dj_paige

Accidently replaced old photos with new imports

kylas24

I have a Dell PC.  I hadn't used this computer for a few months. When I started importing multiple memory cards into Lightroom, it replaced all old files with the same file name.  I have 40 folders missing from my computer.  What can I do to recover the original files? 

• 1. Re: Accidently replaced old photos with new imports
          dj_paige Level 9

kylas24 wrote:

I have a Dell PC.  I hadn't used this computer for a few months. When I started importing multiple memory cards into Lightroom, it replaced all old files with the same file name.  I have 40 folders missing from my computer.  What can I do to recover the original files?

I don't think I have heard of this happening before. Can you be more specific? Can you provide more details? Please be sure to specify the version of Lightroom and what operating system you are using.

• 2. Re: Accidently replaced old photos with new imports
            kylas24 Level 1

I have Windows Vista.  I have LR3. I have pictures from 2010-2014 in there.  Every time I have pictures, I plug in my memory card and import straight to Lightroom.  I always classify by date and leave the files named as they are on my camera.  For example DSC_4067.NEF   We moved for the summer, then moved back into our house and have five memory cards to upload/import.  I uploaded all of them in the same day.  Now I am finding that the most recent files had the same file names as files from 2012 and now the 2012 files will not show in Lightroom, nor in any searches on the rest of my computer.  I have search manually for each .jpg and .nef file on my computer and the only results are the most recent ones.  Not any from 2012. 

• 3. Re: Accidently replaced old photos with new imports
              dj_paige Level 9

Do you normally put ALL of your photos into a single large folder? Or do you have a different folder for each capture date or each import?

Do you have backups of these 2012 missing photos?

• 4. Re: Accidently replaced old photos with new imports
                kylas24 Level 1

I have a different folder for each capture date ie, 2012-04-22, 2012-05-17.

No, I don't have any backups, except for saving the lightroom catalog back up. Somehow these aren't on my external hard drive.  And I was just starting to upload all of my pictures to a cloud drive..

• 5. Re: Accidently replaced old photos with new imports
                  dj_paige Level 9

Well I'm stumped.

The only advice I have is that from now on, you ned to make regular backups of all of your photos, and of the catalog file, to a different physical disk. No excuses.

• 6. Re: Accidently replaced old photos with new imports
                    kylas24 Level 1

Would this work?  What if I resaved all of the recent pictures I have imported (this started two months ago) and rename them and save them to a different location (ie external hard drive, memory card, etc)  and then opened a previous Lightroom catalog back up?  Would that restore those files?  Then I could rename the new pictures and re-import them.

I am guessing as I imported the pictures I used the "copy" tab and it replaced any file with the same name.  so all of the new DSC_4567, DSC_4568, DSC_4569, DSC_4570, was replacing DSC_4567, DSC_4568, DSC_4569 from 2012.....?

• 7. Re: Accidently replaced old photos with new imports
                      dj_paige Level 9

Your photos are not stored in Lightroom, so that would not cause the missing photos to return.