• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with incrementing variable with html5 output (Captivate 8)

New Here ,
Dec 02, 2014 Dec 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my project, I increment a variable with 1 to count the clics.

In flash, it works fine, but in HTML5, it is adding 1....

Normaly: clic =1 clic =2 clic=3

HTML5: clic=1 clic=11 clic=111

Help?

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 02, 2016 Mar 02, 2016

Solution or workaround is to give a number as default value when defining the variable. It is fine to use '0', which allows Captivate to identify this variable as being a number. The issue is back but with an easy workaround, which was not possible in the previous version's bug.

Rod, it is not only happening with Expression but also with Increment.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2014 Dec 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect you didn't install the patch, present release is 8.0.1.242 and this was one of the bugs that are corrected in the patch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2014 Dec 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded de patch on that page : Adobe - Adobe Captivate Support Center : Downloads. And re-published. Still doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Dec 12, 2014 Dec 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the initial value set to 0 (zero). It's treating it as a string. Not sure how CP works and JavaScript does not have strict datatypes, but it may help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2014 Dec 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you publish again and Force republish all slides? It works perfectly for me in 8.0.1.242.

@TLCMediaDesign  it was a bug in 8.0.0, and it didn't really matter if you gave the variable a default value of 0, at least not for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2016 Mar 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this bug is back in Captivate 9. All I've done is assign 0 to a variable and incremented in by 1 numerous times. When I put it in output I'm getting a string of 1's. Lilybiri‌

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the Expression action?  If so, change to the Increment action.  Expression may be concatenating the numbers as strings instead of adding them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution or workaround is to give a number as default value when defining the variable. It is fine to use '0', which allows Captivate to identify this variable as being a number. The issue is back but with an easy workaround, which was not possible in the previous version's bug.

Rod, it is not only happening with Expression but also with Increment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2016 Sep 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I am still running into this issue. I am using expressions in advanced conditional actions. (I want people to calculate VAT depending on which codes they use - if that makes sense). The whole training is build around people being able to test and see the result. But now nothing is working. I am really at a loss of what to do.

It all works fine when previewing in project, previewing in browser, but it does NOT work when previewing in HTML5. All the variables have a default value of 0, so that workaround doesn't appear to do the trick anymore.

I am on CP 9 version 9.0.1.320.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2016 Sep 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's been another update to Captivate since your version.

Maybe you should get that update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2016 Mar 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was using the Expression action and then tried Increment but was having trouble with both. Thanks for the workaround Lilybiri - that did the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing this problem in Captivate 2017 (10.0.0.192)

My aim is to figure out the month and year will be six months in the future. Below is my Advanced Action to assign the variables (I've color coded the variables to make it easier to follow). My duedateyr works great (and I've tried different values in both decrementing and incrementing just to verify it is working). Unfortunately, duedatemon does not work when rendered in HTML.

Execute Actions

Expression: duedatemon = cpInfoCurrentMonth + 6

Assign duedateyr with cpInfoCurrentYear

If ( duedatemon > 12 )

Decrement duedatemon by 12

Increment duedateyr by 1

Today the current month is October, so I would expect my first expression to result in 16.

16 is indeed greater than 12, so subtract 12 and it should become 4.

It works in the flash preview, but in the browser the duedatemon returns 94.

I also tried making it two lines - "Assign duedatemon with cpInfoCurrentMonth" and then "Increment duedatemon by 6" but get the same incorrect results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try executing this JavaScript instead.

var getMonth = Number(window.cpAPIInterface.getVariableValue("cpInfoCurrentMonth"))+6;

var getYear = Number(window.cpAPIInterface.getVariableValue("cpInfoCurrentYear"));

if (getMonth > 12)

{

window.cpAPIInterface.setVariableValue("duedatemon", getMonth - 12);

window.cpAPIInterface.setVariableValue("duedateyr", getYear + 1);

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your code and help! I very much wanted it to work, as it looks much cleaner than the JavaScript option that I eventually came up with. Unfortunately, I must be doing something wrong to implement it.

I did come up with something that is working, so for now I need to move on with my work. But you have made me curious to learn more about "the Common JavaScript interface for Adobe Captivate." If there are some good lessons or videos that anyone can recommend, I'd like to study them in my free time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@TLC made a little typo, something very easy to do (the voice of long experience here!).

var getMonth = Number(window.cpAPIInterface.gerVariableValue("cpInfoCurrentMonth"))+6;

should be getVariableValue instead of gerVariableValue

Does that solve the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did catch that and fixed it, but still not nothing populating in those variables.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try the script again. I fixed my post with the catch the dan56​ found, as well as a missing closing paren in the last statement.

Unfortunately I cannot paste anything into a website, blocked at my work, so I have to type all of the scripts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

With that closing parenthesis, and adding an "else" for future dates that do not cross into the new year, it works!

I'm definitely going to hang on to this code for the future. Thank you!

var getMonth = Number(window.cpAPIInterface.getVariableValue("cpInfoCurrentMonth"));

var getYear = Number(window.cpAPIInterface.getVariableValue("cpInfoCurrentYear"));

if (getMonth > 12)

{

window.cpAPIInterface.setVariableValue("duedatemon", getMonth - 12);

window.cpAPIInterface.setVariableValue("duedateyr", getYear + 1);

}

else

{

window.cpAPIInterface.setVariableValue("duedatemon", getMonth);

window.cpAPIInterface.setVariableValue("duedateyr", getYear);

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources