5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2014 11:23 AM by MichaelCozzi

Importing and stabilizing footage from Pre Pro CC to AE cc.

MichaelCozzi

Greetings to all you aftereffects and premiere Pro cc experts.  I have a question that is probably very easy to answer, but for the life of me I can't figure it out.  I have some footage that was poorly shot that was given to me that runs about 60 minutes in length.  I need to stabilize about three minutes of that footage in the middle.  How do I go about getting just that three minutes into aftereffects to stabilize it?  Do I need to cut the footage and then render out just those three minutes?  When I try to import it now into aftereffects and apply the stabilization feature it tries to analyze the entire 60 minutes.  Also, any help that you can offer on the best way to stabilize footage in general would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Importing and stabilizing footage from Pre Pro CC to AE cc.
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can cut the layer in Premiere and then copy and paste that cut layer into After Effects. Or you can use the Import Premiere Pro Sequence option in AE.

Alternatively, you can apply Warp Stabilizer in Premiere and skip AE entirely.

• 2. Re: Importing and stabilizing footage from Pre Pro CC to AE cc.
            bogiesan Level 4

MichaelCozzi wrote:

Do I need to cut the footage and then render out just those three minutes? Also, any help that you can offer on the best way to stabilize footage in general would be appreciated.

While Sz is correct, I usually find it best to restrict stabilization to a specific clip instead of relying on Premiere's interactivity with AE.

So.

Yes, trim the small section and make that three minutes a completely separate and self-contained movie.

STabilizing is a complicated art these days because there are so many options. I like Warp Stabilizer but the process may take several attempts for you to get what you want. Stabilized footage requires rotation and horizontal and vertical movement. How well and thoroughly these characteristics are processed are user adjustable although the results are not always predictable. Stabilization will lead to scaling the media to fill the screen and the smoothness of the changes is totally adjustable, too.

• 3. Re: Importing and stabilizing footage from Pre Pro CC to AE cc.
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

bogiesan wrote:

MichaelCozzi wrote:

Do I need to cut the footage and then render out just those three minutes? Also, any help that you can offer on the best way to stabilize footage in general would be appreciated.

While Sz is correct, I usually find it best to restrict stabilization to a specific clip instead of relying on Premiere's interactivity with AE.

I am afraid that I wasn't clear. I was suggesting two options to bring his clip into AE that did not maintain any sort of link or interactivity with Premiere.

Copying and pasting merely brings the clip in question, already trimmed, into an AE composition.

Importing a Premiere project using the Import Premiere Pro option I mentioned, doesn't maintain a Dynamic Link, but merely creates AE compositions containing trimmed clips with one layer per trim.

• 4. Re: Importing and stabilizing footage from Pre Pro CC to AE cc.
                MichaelCozzi Level 1

Thanks so much for your expert advice.  I was not aware that premiere Pro had a warped stabilizer contained within.  I chose to go with that and it worked like a charm.  I will in the future try all the suggestions posted here just to improve my skills.  Best regards and may God bless

• 5. Re: Importing and stabilizing footage from Pre Pro CC to AE cc.
                  MichaelCozzi Level 1

Thanks so much for your expert advice.  I was not aware that premiere Pro had a warped stabilizer contained within.  I chose to go with that and it worked like a charm.  I will in the future try all the suggestions posted here just to improve my skills.  Best regards and may God bless