2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2014 7:43 AM by CTLVideo

How do I create a single action that hides several elements at once?

CTLVideo

I'm creating what I call a "video jukebox" and I'd like to find an easier way to switch between videos, depending on which button is clicked. For instance, I have 7 videos for the viewer to choose from.

On the Animate Stage are 7 buttons, each button corresponding to the appropriate video.

I've also added the 7 videos to the Stage (let's call them Video01.mp4, Video02.mp4, etc).

To each button I've added the following actions to mousedown:

sym.$("Video01").hide();

sym.$("Video02").hide();

sym.$("Video03").hide();

sym.$("Video04").hide();

sym.$("Video05").hide();

sym.$("Video06").hide();

sym.$("Video07").hide();

I would then change "hide" to "show" depending on which video I want to play when the viewer clicks on the corresponding button, and assign that to a mouseup action.

I am wondering 2 things:

1. Is there an action that will hide all of the videos with one line of code, instead of repeating it multiple times (for each video)?

2. Can I assign the code to a transparent symbol that I can overlay each button so I don't have to open the actions for each one? In other words, I'd like to just drag a symbol onto the Stage and have the code already attached to it, then all I'd have to do is change one or 2 lines instead of having to rewrite the entire thing each time.

Thanks

• 1. Re: How do I create a single action that hides several elements at once?
          vivekuma Adobe Employee

1. sym.$("video").hide(); will hide all the video elements, then you can selectively show a particular video  as sym.$("Vidoe01").show();

2. Write a function in the compositionReady like:

sym.hideShowVideo = function(name) {

sym.$("video").hide();

sym.$(name).show();

}

And call this function for each button like sym.hideShowVideo("Video01");

hth,

Vivekuma

• 2. Re: How do I create a single action that hides several elements at once?
            CTLVideo Level 1

Thanks, that worked great! However, I've discovered that merely hiding the video won't accomplish what I want since it's still playing in the background. So, I added a bit more code to make that functionality work as well. If anyone reading this is looking to do something similar, here's the code I added after the showHide ending bracket:

sym.playPauseVideo = function(name) {

sym.$("video").pause();

sym.$(name).play();

}