10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2014 7:55 PM by aperture14

How do I set a default title and text style on Quick?

aperture14

On Adobe Premiere Essentials 13 video editing, if I use Quick is it possible to set a default style for titles and text? I see instructions for setting a default style in Expert, but that doesn't seem to work in Quick. Thanks.

• 1. Re: How do I set a default title and text style on Quick?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

aperture14

What is this Premiere Elements Essentials 13? I know the program only as Adobe Premiere Elements 13 for Windows or Adobe Premiere Elements 13 for Mac. On what computer operating system is it running and is it a pre-installed program from the computer manufacturer?

So, if you have some modified version of Premiere Elements 13 Windows or Mac, I cannot give you a yes or no answer to

if I use Quick is it possible to set a default style for titles and text?

In Adobe Premiere Elements 13 Windows (assumed Mac also), there should be no problem in creating a text title in the Quick workspace and saving a particular text style and setting that created text style to the default. Are you OK with doing that in the Expert workspace if not the Quick workspace?

Please give us more details of your situation so that we can customize a reply for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I set a default title and text style on Quick?
            aperture14 Level 1

Sorry -- you have the name of the software right. I had it wrong. I still can't figure out how to set a text style for an entire project in Quick or Expert. The instructions for doing it in Adjust don't work. Also, when we tried to save a default style, it wouldn't save. Thanks.

• 3. Re: How do I set a default title and text style on Quick?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

aperture 14

Premiere Elements 13

For now I am assuming that your Premiere Elements 13 is on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

Re: Premiere Element 12 Support

Please try to run through my mini test run in post 1 of the above thread. Premiere Elements 12 and 13

should be the same in the mechanics of doing this. Hopefully 13 will work better than 12 on the project to project

hold of the default text. However, even 12 is doing better with the hold of newly set default text.

We will be watching for your results. If problems, please tell me the exact spot where the problem exists, and we

will target that area.

ATR

• 4. Re: How do I set a default title and text style on Quick?
                aperture14 Level 1

Thanks, ATR. I worked through the procedure you recommended, and did manage to change the default. However, it didn't stick. The next time I tried to insert a caption, the default had been reset to Berkeley, again. I appreciated your suggestion, nonetheless.

• 5. Re: How do I set a default title and text style on Quick?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

aperture14

Thanks for the follow up.

From what I have observed Premiere Elements 12 has a problem remembering the new defaults. But, as mentioned, lately it has been holding

its change in default for within same project as well as from new project to new project.

When you tried the scenario suggested for Premiere Elements 13, did the new default hold for within the same project if not for from project to project?

Please remind me what computer operating system your version 13 is running on.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: How do I set a default title and text style on Quick?
                    aperture14 Level 1

ATR,

No, the default setting didn't stick within the same project. Also, I couldn't cut-and-paste a previous caption to save time because -- and this is really weird -- the newly typed caption replaced the previous caption. Didn't realize that until I had done about five captions. This inability to set a default caption is really inconvenient.

I am using Premiere Elements 12, Expert mode, Windows 8.1, 64 bit.

I'm also unable to burn a disk of my project, but I'm consulting with someone about that tonight. I keep getting an error message: The data rate of this file is too high for DVD. You must replace the file with one of a lower data rate." My project is just 10 minutes long, no audio, 151-704 MB, depending on where I set the quality slider. The bitrate is 8 Mbps.

Thanks for your help.

• 7. Re: How do I set a default title and text style on Quick?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

aperature  14

At first I thought it was you, but someone recently talked about the data rate error. I have not seen that issue in years.

The classical solution for that was to remove the check mark next to Fit Content to Available Space to enable you to move

the Quality slider to the left to a bitrate value less than the max 8.00 Mbps. You do the bitrate lowering just to the point where

you get rid of the data rate error message and are allowed to move forward in the project.

If you do the above, how far do you have to lower the bitrate downward from 8.00 Mbps?

You can get away with a bit of lowering before quality is impacted.

I am curious about how that data rate error message got triggered, so looking forward to your follow up results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: How do I set a default title and text style on Quick?
                        aperture14 Level 1

Good news! I resolved my problem with the default text. While I did successfully set a new default, I wasn't accessing it properly. My error was in going to the bottom of the screen to Titles & Text for each new title or caption. I finally figured out that I have to go to the top ribbon and use the Text tab for each new title or caption -- that's where the default text is stored.

I also successfully burned a DVD. I unchecked the "fit to content to available space" box, then it works. I actually raised the Quality slider to about midway. The software engineer to who helped me thought that program was trying to stretch my 10-minute project to fill the entire DVD.

Thanks again for your time and attention. I really appreciate your help.

• 9. Re: How do I set a default title and text style on Quick?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

aperture14

Wonderful news of your success with the default text and the burn to disc. Good job of sorting through the troubleshooting paths to find

solutions.

Typically I do the burn to disc DVD with a check mark next to the burn dialog's Fit Content to Available Space. The only time that I leave that option unchecked

is if I get a data rate error and I have to set the bitrate manually. When you get to Blu-ray, the situation is a bit different.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe11-blu-ray-burn-dialog-fit-content-to.html

Very pleased with your progress.

Best wishes with your video projects.

ATR

• 10. Re: How do I set a default title and text style on Quick?
                            aperture14 Level 1

Thanks again for your help. I may finish my Christmas projects on time!