11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2014 3:31 PM by Willi Adelberger

Pages losing content?

working dog

Im producing a 52 page magazine.

Latest indesign CC is randomly deleting images and tex boxes from pages.

I'@m about to go to press and keep discovering missing content!

• 1. Re: Pages losing content?
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

InDesign never deletes anything, at least not without warning. Can you specify what you are doing, when it happens?

• 2. Re: Pages losing content?
            working dog Level 1

Oh good, I'm just imagining it then. Thanks Willi!

This has happened several times with this document. I don't know exactly when it happens because it hasn't been on the pages I am working on.

I first noticed it when my client was proofing a PDF of the document and complained that a block of text was missing. I though it might have been in the PDF distillation but when i checked it was missing from the indesign file.

Since then, it has happened a few times, losing images, text blocks, lines and even embedded graphics.

No warnings, no accidental deletes from me, just vanishing elements.

I have been able to restore from backups, but that means lots of reproofing etc.

• 3. Re: Pages losing content?

NOOOOO!

• Don't use Distiller. Neve use print of PDF creation. Use Export to PDF.
              • Never embed graphics. They have to be linked, otherwise the chances are high to damage your file forever.

Probably both working errors are not responsible for your problem (even if the second one is causing some huge damages which could end up in loss of data.)

Did you check, if you haven't added the "lost" content to a master instead of a page?

And I repeat: InDesign never deletes anything, at least not without warning. Can you specify what you are doing, when it happens?

Show a screen shot with a complete extended Page Panel, showing all Masters and problematic pages.

• 4. Re: Pages losing content?
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Let's get some clarifications, please. Is the text missing only the PDF, or does it disappear in ID at the same time? If it still seems to be there in ID, does it remain visible in preview mode?

• 5. Re: Pages losing content?
                  working dog Level 1

Hey Willi, I've been using graphics software and publishing books and magazines since long before apple existed. And I am not stupid.

While it's great to know that adobe has created the world's first bug-free and infallible software, I can assure you that what is happening, is happening.

I haven't used 'Distiller" for years, but the process of exporting is still 'distilling' the file.

I don't generally embed graphics, but I sometimes use supplied art from third parties that does have embedded elements.

As you are in complete denial about what I am describing even being possible, I really don't see how you can be of any help or make a valid contribution to this discussion.

Thanks anyway.

• 6. Re: Pages losing content?

What you write is not true.

Exporting a PDF is NOT distilling! It has nothing to do with distilling. Distilling does not support transparency as exporting does. Distilling is a process to convert postscript into a flattened PDF, what exported not does.

You should NEVER embed images as it causes damages.

You did not describe when it happens, what kind of contents is omitted. I work with InDesign since it exists, and even before. And never I experienced that InDesign deleted anything. Losses were only with damaged files and due to problems between keyboard and office chair. Damaged files where mostly caused by embedded graphics and some few rare cases by the use of eps instead of pdf or ai files.

• 7. Re: Pages losing content?
                      working dog Level 1

As I said, the elements are disappearing in the ID document and the pdf faithfully reproduces.

Sorry if I confused this. I initially thought the problem was with the creation of the PDF but subsequently realised that it was occurring in the ID file and the PDF was just faithfully reproducing the damaged document.

I've been using ID pretty much since its launch, but this latest CC update seems a bit buggy and unstable. It's also crashing occasionally under the weight of a 52-page magazine. Previous versions of ID could handle much larger publications without any drama.

I can't say what I was doing when the deletions occurred because they happen 'off-screen'. EG I'll be working on pages 23-24 and content will disappear from 38-39 but I won't know about it until I scroll down to those pages.

(Thank the Apple gods for TimeMachine!)

I was simply wondering whether anyone else had come across this and whether Adobe was aware of it.

• 8. Re: Pages losing content?
                        Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

OK, this sounds like it might be a bug I've seen on a number of occasions where ID loses track of the geometric bounds for objects. The symptom can be confirmed by doing a Select All on what I presume are now empty pages and seeing if anything is detected and checking the size of the selection, which will be shown in scientific notation as it is either astronomically large or astronomically small.

If that corresponds to what you see, I think the only thing you can do is replace the affected pages, and I'd probably run through IDML and save out again as a new .indd (see Remove minor corruption by exporting).

• 9. Re: Pages losing content?
                          working dog Level 1

Amazing Willi, you used ID even before it existed. Your copy of Time Machine must be amazing.

I think your problems might be caused by a loose nut in your office chair.

And if you read the posts, I did describe what, when and how.

Goodbye Willi

• 10. Re: Pages losing content?
                            working dog Level 1

Thank you Peter!

Sanity prevails.

• 11. Re: Pages losing content?

I knew it before it hit the market. There was a time when it had the name K2.