• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can Captivate record DOS system commands, such as the 'F' keys?

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2014 Dec 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to create a training program for a system which is DOS-based. So, whenever I hit the 'F' keys, the Captivate file does not capture that on the final recording. How can I do that?

TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2014 Dec 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fake it.

Take a capture of the inside of a DOS window running on your desktop and use that to make it LOOK like what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 15, 2015 Sep 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've used screengrab utilities to capture the text of the DOS screen and pasted into Word. (SnagIt version 11 and earlier had this functionality, it is not available in version 12 or later.)

I then created a style within Word that used a mono-spaced font, applied text color, background color, added a border, and a shadow. These items together made it appear the the DOS text was a screen grab, yet the text was searchable, modifiable and reusable.

Specific to your question, I'd create graphics of the F-keys and add them to the page.

You may be able to edit the preferences of Captivate and change the recording options so that the F-keys aren't used, which may allow them to be 'captured' during a recording.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources