6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2014 8:00 AM by Szalam

AE Cache

Top Branded Clothing Level 1

I've noticed that After Effects sometimes 'remembers' old files or settings.

For example, I change a file in a composition (with the same name as the old one), the old file still appears (this seems particularly true of audio files).

I've also noticed that if I changed some settings (project frame rate for example), it doesn't seem to have any effect.

Clearing the cache doesn't seem to do  much good.

Does this make sense to anyone?

• 1. Re: AE Cache
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What exact version number of AE are you using (down to the last decimal)?

• 2. Re: AE Cache
            Froyd

"the old file still appears"

Do you mean in the project window where source files are or in the timeline?

"if I changed some settings (project frame rate for example), it doesn't seem to have any effect."

How are you changing the FPS? Through Composition Settings (Ctrl+k/Cmd+k)?

• 3. Re: AE Cache

• 4. Re: AE Cache

How are you changing the FPS? Through Composition Settings (Ctrl+k/Cmd+k)?
                I have a project that has a 25 fps composition but the project settings Ctl+Alt+Shift+K were incorrectly set. So I changed them to 25 fps. However, frame rate anomalies appear in the rendered video (juddery footage, blurred motion).
                I add the composition to a Premiere project and render that with AME and all is good and the video is perfect.

• 5. Re: AE Cache

"I have a project that has a 25 fps composition but the project settings Ctl+Alt+Shift+K were incorrectly set. So I changed them to 25 fps. However, frame rate anomalies appear in the rendered video (juddery footage, blurred motion).

I add the composition to a Premiere project and render that with AME and all is good and the video is perfect."

What I'm saying is that I could see why I had the problems with the video in AE. The composition frame rate and the project settings were mismatched. So I corrected the error but the problems persisted, it's as though AE didn't recognise what I'd done.
                  HOWEVER, insert that composition in to a Premiere project and render that way, no problem.

• 6. Re: AE Cache
                    Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That sounds odd to me. The fact that importing the AE project into Premiere and it works fine, but rendering out of AE directly doesn't is the really weird part.