2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2014 5:36 AM by areohbee

Importing Keywords

kingridgedr Level 1

Hi,

Yesterday day I exported my keywords, and painstakingly edited them in Excel, creating an awesome hierarchy. I'm now at the point where I'm ready to import them, but I just read that doing so will add the keywords to the existing list, and I'm not quite sure that this is what I want to do. I'm kind of thinking that I'd like to update the existing list with my new changes, versus having multiples of the same thing.

For instance, my list previously had the keyword "dog", and I've now modified dog to look like:

Animal

Dog

German Shepard

Poodle

So it seems that if I import my newly updated keywords, and I enter the word "dog", I'll now get the previous entry for dog, as well as my new hierarchy, when in reality, I just want the new hierarchy.

I do have tons of images already keyworded, and I'd prefer to not have to redo them, but have them adopt the new lists, though I don't know if this is possible.

How can I go about making this happen? Or, do I not want to do this for some reason? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Jeff

• 1. Re: Importing Keywords
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Unfortunately, as you discovered, there is no way within LR to edit your keyword hierarchy outside of LR and then import the changes.  It was an oft-requested feature in years gone past.  

If you try to import your CSV file, you'll end up with a brand new set of keywords, and your existing hierarchy won't be changed.

You can edit your keyword hierarchy within LR in the Keyword List pane.  E.g. you can create the top-level Animal keyword, then drag the Dog keyword onto it, then create German Shepard and Poodle under Dog.  Photos that previously had Dog will retain it, but it's now Animal > Dog.

• 2. Re: Importing Keywords
            areohbee Level 5

I invented the Keyword Consolidator plugin (a long time ago) for restructuring (and consolidating) keywords, but it's kindofabitch to use, still it may be worth a go (it's what I used way back when I had a big mess, now I only have a small mess :-}). I confess it was a painful and time consuming process, but it helped me get the job done, and it's free:

robcole.com - KwCLrPlugin

Anyway, if I were doing it over again, I'd do it differently. In fact I consulted with somebody who was planning to code what would probably be a very-nice keyword consolidation plugin, but I haven't seen it finished, and I don't even remember who it was now.

Anyway, if your keyword spreadsheet includes the information for which old keyword(s) should be mapped to the new keywords, it would be fairly easy to make a little script which migrates everything (creates the new keywords, and replaces the old with the new for each photo).