4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2015 6:36 AM by Jon Snidal

iMac 5k slow with Indesign CC2014 and PDF's?

wonderings1111 Level 1

I have a new iMac 5k, i7 4ghz processor, 24 gigs of ram, AMD Radeon M29FX with 4 gigs of DDR5 ram gpu and 1 TB of flash storage. I upgraded to this from a mid 2012 Retina MacBook pro, i7 2.6 ghz processor, 16 gigs of ram and a NVIDEO GeForce 650M 1024 gpu with a 512 flash storage. I was expecting to see some serious improvements in speed, especially when handling large pdf's. This iMac actually feels slower, like it is lagging trying to process the images. I am running Adobe CC 2014, Indesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and Acrobat all with the latest updates.

Is this something where the Adobe apps are not optimized for the 5K screen? Or is the Graphics card just not good with the Adobe apps? I do not know what to think. It is a brand new computer with some great specs, but the old Retina MacBook Pro seems much faster when it comes to handling pdf's and working with overprint preview on in indesign.

• 1. Re: iMac 5k slow with Indesign CC2014 and PDF's?
          Doc Maik Level 4

The PDF rendering engine of Adobe is, since ever, one of the worst engines there is and I doubt this will ever change. I also got a fast PC with lots of RAM, but opening a computer mag with many graphics on the front can be so slow that you can see the single parts pop up. It doesn't seem to matter what graphics card you have installed.

"Is this something where the Adobe apps are not optimized for the 5K screen?" Of course not. Not yet. The new Mac is only out a few weeks and this has very low priority, I'd say.

• 2. Re: iMac 5k slow with Indesign CC2014 and PDF's?
            wonderings1111 Level 1

No one else experiencing this? There is a long thread about illustrator with maybe one mention of indesign. I have had 3 iMac 5Ks (maxed out specs) now and all three suffered and were painful to use, running slower then a mid 2012 retina MacBook Pro. After 3 I started to rule out hardware and the iMac itself, everything else ran great except Indesign and Illustrator. Would be nice to hear something from Adobe on this. I am guessing they are not utilizing the ATI AMD gpu properly?

• 3. Re: iMac 5k slow with Indesign CC2014 and PDF's?
              cliffleonard

Hey, all of my Adobe products run in the range of extremely slow to unusable; InDesign is by far the worst. Like you, I run a decked out 5K iMac and Adobe CC 2014. Oddly most people have problems with Illustrator, however I find Illustrator to be usable, yet InDesign and Acrobat are nearly unusable. I would do anything to get rid of my iMac and get my much faster 3 year old iMac back.

Adobe has mentioned they are working on a fix for Illustrator however I have not seen any mention of InDesign. I suspect they will apply the same fix across the board if there is a software fix for this. Apple quadrupled the number of pixels on the iMac screen and that is a lot to ask of Adobe CC.

• 4. Re: iMac 5k slow with Indesign CC2014 and PDF's?
                Jon Snidal Level 1

Also running an iMac with the GPU upgrade, and haven't noticed performance problems, yet! I'll test some of the issues mentioned here. My real problem is with the on-screen font rendering. At the 2560x1440 HiDPI, a page at 100% is just weak, like page printed without enough ink. Panning and zooming is a little laggy, too. At 2560x1440 (non HiDPI), everything is fantastic, although the rendering is a little rough (strangely not so on regular GPU on same machine). CS6 is perfect in every way! Oops, I guess unrelated, but I wanted to see what others are experiencing.