2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2014 7:35 AM by ECBowen

Best graphic card for using Adobe AE and Cinema 4D

SaraJL1991

Hello,

I would like to ask which graphic card (budget between 300 and 500 $) is best for mainly using Adobe After Effects and (now and then) Cinema 4D?

Does it necessarily have to be a Quadro or not? I've been advised to buy one of the below:

- GAINWARD GTX 970 4GB PCIe

- SAPPHIRE R9 270X OC Boost 2GB PCIe

- PNY Quadro K2000D 2GB PCIe

- ASUS GTX780-DC2OC-3GD5 3GB PCIe

Which of the above is most suitable or which one would you recommend?

Thank you very much for answering ,

Sara

• 1. Re: Best graphic card for using Adobe AE and Cinema 4D
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What other software do you use? Do you use any plugins?

The reason I ask is that stock After Effects doesn't really use the GPU for much and neither does stock Cinema 4D.

For C4D, there are a number of GPU-based renderers out there that can provide nearly real-time feedback on material creation, etc. but you haven't mentioned if you were planning to use one of those.

As far as After Effects goes, all it really uses the GPU for is the (considered obsolete) ray-traced renderer as noted here: GPU (CUDA, OpenGL) features in After Effects

Now, some third party effects (such as Red Giant Universe and Video Copilot's Element 3d) do make use of the GPU, so if you plan to use any of them, check their requirements.

Do you use Premiere? It makes use of the GPU a lot. So, if you're not planning to use any of the third-party things I mentioned for AE and C4D, then buy your GPU for Premiere and you'll be fine for AE.

• 2. Re: Best graphic card for using Adobe AE and Cinema 4D
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The 970GTX is more than enough since both those applications are mainly CPU and ram. If you get Octane for C4D which I suggest then you may want to get atleast 1 980GTX.

Eric

ADK