1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 6, 2014 11:50 AM by Herbert2001

Why has my Fireworks CS5 started freezing up on start-up?

EllenNWalker

I'm using Mac OSX 10.7.5, and the most recent update to CS5 (just downloaded that update again today and installed).  Back in August, I was editing some photo files in Fireworks. I had a lot of files open (like, maybe 40 or 50) and didn't think to close the files before shutting down my computer.  Ever since, when I try to open Fireworks, this is what happens:

The application starts to open like normal.  It begins opening the picture files I was last working on in August.  After a couple minutes, it seems to be finished but when I move the cursor over the window, I get the spinning wheel... and after ten, twenty, thirty minutes, the wheel is still spinning.  I can't do anything at all except use the "Force quit" menu to get out of it.

I found a suggestion about deleting Macromedia Library files, but I don't have any files in the Library that are Macromedia.  Another suggestion had to do with changing a couple file names by putting "Old" in front of "Fireworks" in the file name in the Library and Application support.  I did that, but it didn't help.

Any suggestions?  I can't afford to just buy the latest Creative Suite.

• 1. Re: Why has my Fireworks CS5 started freezing up on start-up?
          Herbert2001 Level 4

Did you follow these steps, and removed BOTH the preferences and library folders?

Quit Fireworks.

In the Finder, navigate to /Users/Your User Name/Library/Application Support/Adobe.

Rename the Fireworks application support folder:
            Fireworks CS5.1: Rename the Fireworks CS5.1 folder to Old Fireworks CS5.1, for example.
            Fireworks CS5: Rename the Fireworks CS5 folder to Old Fireworks CS5, for example.

Navigate to /Users/Your User Name/Library/Preferences.

Rename the Fireworks preferences folder:
            Fireworks CS5.1: Rename the Adobe Fireworks CS5.1 folder to Old Adobe Fireworks CS5.1, for example.
            Fireworks CS5: Rename the Adobe Fireworks CS5 folder to Old Adobe Fireworks CS5, for example. 

PS Since CS is very expensive, why not switch to Pixelmator, Acorn, or Photoline for your editing? Fireworks is no longer developed anyway (since May 2013). Especially Photoline is incredibly powerful for image editing (comparable to Photoshop).