3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2014 5:18 AM by RjL190365

Tweaking my PC for Video

danielryanphoto

Hi,

First time poster so be gentle

I'm about to start doing some video working, mostly small personal projects to start with and the occasional video to tag on to my photography work. It'll be shot on DSLR and sent out at 1080p.

I've already got a decent editing machine (FX8320 @ 4.2, 16Gb RAM, HD6970) but I've having trouble working out what to do with my storage. I've read a thousand threads on the subject and it's going straight over my head as I've not got a clue what size drives I need for this sort of work - I'm used to working in stills!

I've currently got a 128gb SSD with my OS and programs, a 64gb SSD with my lightroom cache and current projects and a 1tb drive that my final images go to (along with all my documents). I've also got a 2tb RAID1 box backing everything up.

I know I'm going to need an extra drive or 2 to properly run Premiere and I was thinking of grabbing a couple of 500gb Caviar Black's, using them as a media and output drive then my 64gb SSD as the cache but I've got a feeling it won't be big enough.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,

Dan

• 1. Re: Tweaking my PC for Video
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you read anything on the PPBM7.com site, especially the Tweakers page.  Unfortunately your system with AMD CPU and GPU will never be great.

• 2. Re: Tweaking my PC for Video
            danielryanphoto Level 1

I know it'll not keep up with the latest i7/Xenon rigs but it's not a million miles away from the older Ivy Bridge i7's and I'm getting good performance from PS CC.

I will most likely upgrade at some point in the future but for now, as I'm not intending on doing things like 4k, prores etc I figured it'd get me by for a while as I'm learning how to do things.

I know my current hard drive setup isn't up to scratch though so I thought it best to get that right from the start as moving drives/media libraries etc round after setting things up can be a pain.

I've had a read of the guides but I can't see anything that that goes in to detail about the size of drives needed. I know my camera records around 16gb/hour, plus whatever audio I've got but I don't know how that translates to editing in terms of media cache, what the output files are likely to be etc.

• 3. Re: Tweaking my PC for Video
              RjL190365 Level 4

danielryanphoto wrote:

I know it'll not keep up with the latest i7/Xenon rigs but it's not a million miles away from the older Ivy Bridge i7's and I'm getting good performance from PS CC.

Actually, even the fastest current AMD CPUs are still a million miles away from even old-generation Sandy Bridge i7 CPUs in terms of performance in Adobe Premiere Pro CC. In fact, they are no faster, even when overclocked, than first-generation Nehalem i7 860 or 920 (Lynnfield/Bloomfield) CPUs when the five-year-old i7s are running at their stock speeds.

You see, Premiere makes heavy use of the SSE 4.2 extensions that AMD has implemented poorly in its FX series CPUs. In the PPBM7 site (registration is required to view results), you will find only three AMD-powered systems among the well over 100 results. The fastest of those three, which is an FX 8350-powered system (a CPU that's higher than your system's FX 8320) running the first release of Premiere CC 2014 and Windows 7 SP1, delivered a result that's actually slower than my Sandy Bridge i5-2400 rig (the i5 was using a slower, older GeForce GTX 560 GPU while the AMD was using a GeFroce GTX 660). In fact, that AMD system delivered a software-only MPE DVD result of 1,517 seconds versus 1,123 seconds for my i5. The software-only MPE results are what I use as a guide to roughly how well a given system will perform in Premiere, subject to differences in the disk I/O and GPU-accelerated MPE results.